speedometer cable coming loose

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Default speedometer cable coming loose

This is the second time this has happened to me, it coming loose on a long ride.........I even checked it before to make sure it was all the way in.

Someone suggested using locktite on the threads but I am a little unsure. Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions? Thanks.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: speedometer cable coming loose

Which end is coming loose? The end that plugs into the front hub, or the end that threads into the speedo-housing up behind the fairing?
I've had two EX500's so far and they both kept coming loose until using some medium- or low-strength threadlock on the threads. I also used a pair of needle-nose pliers to make sure the upper (speedo housing) end was threaded in tightly enough. If you do this, just don't thread them on too tight or squeeze the locknut/barrel too tightly.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
-CCinC

Old 10-11-2006, 10:25 PM

I have had this happen to me too lately (on the speedo end). Im going to try the locktite trick myself soon.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:25 PM

speedo end, any specific brand you would recommend?

Old 10-12-2006, 06:33 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Any kind will do the job. I've got four different grades of ThreeBond, which is available at any dealership.
Just don't use the permanent kind. Medium or Low-torque strength will do the job nicely.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Use blue locktite. It is medium strength. DON'T USE RED. You will never get it off again.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:25 AM

Thanks for the tips, it would suck a little if someone used the permanent and then put it back on wrong..............and yet Im sure plenty of people have, hopefully no Ninja riders though

Old 10-13-2006, 08:16 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Even if you cross-thread it initially, the threadlock is like glue and takes a little while to cure. So no stress and no worries. These things are nearly idiot-proof; I'm a pretty ham-fisted clod, but I can still do a decent job of adjusting the valves, synchronizing the carbs and smoking an R1 rider on Palomar Mountain. (haha)

Old 10-16-2006, 05:11 PM

The first time I put it back in I had a little trouble getting it threaded back on right. This time i am having extreme trouble, which actually may be a good thing because I still havent purchased the locktite.......so Im taking this as a sign to get the lock tite first. Once I have the locktite is there anything specific I should do to get it back on properly, last time I just reached in and did it, this time I couldnt do it at all and ended up with 2 nice fat blisters

Old 10-16-2006, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Aye, installing that thing with the front fairing still in place is awkward. It takes more time and is a PITA, but it will go more smoothly if you remove the front fairing & headlight assembly, which gives you much easier access to the speedo assembly.
The side, fairing-to-tank screws are of very fine thread pitch, so it's best to install them with your fingers at first, to avoid-cross threading.

It takes more time, but look at it this way: this gives you a chance to detail everything!
Good luck & let us know how it goes.
-CCinC

Quick Reply: speedometer cable coming loose