One cylinder quit working. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Question One cylinder quit working. Help!

Hey gang,

I've got a 2004 500R that has run beautifully for the past four years. Less than 10K miles on it. It fired right up for me this spring and ran like a champ. Then towards the end of the first tank of gas (with the fuel stabilizer in it) of the year, it started kind of cutting out, like it does when you're running out of gas. I switched on my reserve and thought nothing of it. Until it died moments later and wouldn't start back up.

I filled the tank up and then it fired right back up. But it was running odd, idling low and had no power. I managed to ride it home and it backfired a couple of times when I'd slow down. I figured it was only running on one cylinder and noticed gas dripping from the bottom of the muffler on the left side, after a strong smell of gas.

I changed both spark plugs and fired it up with still only one cylinder firing. Took the plugs back out and the port side plug was wet and looking in the cylinder I could see gas sitting in there. I checked to make sure that plug was firing and it sparked just fine, so now I'm at a loss. Anyone know what the problem might be? Bear in mind I don't have a fully furnished garage, and I have only basic mechanical skills. If it's too complicated (like adjusting the carburetor) I'll probably end up taking it in to the local shop.

I've already got an appointment to get my front tire replaced and the soonest slot they had was May 20th. I'd rather not wait that long to get my bike back up and running as that's almost three weeks from now and I live in Alaska where three weeks is about 1/5th of our riding season.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2009, 11:46 PM

Sounds like the coil is bad... They are easy to get to, switch the coils from #1 to #2 and see if the miss follows the coil. It's simple, you'll see the plastic cylinders underneath the take attached to the frame the lead to the spark plug wires, -just swap them from one side to the other - the should only be held in by to bolts and the plug wires simply "unscrew" from the coils. Make sure you note where the wires (There are 2 regular power wires the plug into the coils) go on each coil when you disconnect it to swap it.

I don't know if the 94 and 93 coils are the same but if they are and that's your problem well, I just posted a thread with a list of parts for sale in this forum.

Good luck!

Last edited by sportbikes; 05-08-2009 at 11:49 PM.