Help me get my Kaw back on the road....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Help me get my Kaw back on the road....

Let me start by giving you a little background on my before you guys giggle. I am the kind of person that likes to defy the odds and say the hell with it Under ALL Circumstances. So heres my problem.....my 04' was ready for a valve job so....pay $250 on a mechanic bill or buy a manual and do it myself? The choice was obvious , but owww the consequence!!!

I got as far as taking off the cylinder head cover, Wahoo!! so i continued by following the clymer manual and positioned the rotor top dead center "C". I adjusted the rightcylender rocker gapbut when I go on to place the rotor on "T" for the leftcylinderthere is no gap between the rocker cams even when the adjusting screw is all the way out!!!....I think I may have had the orientation wrong on the cylinder, i adjusted the right cyclinder according to my position sitting cockpit...so if this isn't the problem I dont know what to do. Basically I am screwed and darn if wasn't hopping to wait a couple more months to drive my car. My bikes is nowin shambles all over what use to be a respectable driveway.

If anyone can help me out ,or just somegood adviceit would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

JB
FT. Lauderdale, FL
04 ex500r (7478 miles)
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Help me get my Kaw back on the road....

Sorry you're having a tough time, but GOOD FOR YOU, doing this yourself.
Unfortunately the manual is not 100% accurate on this point because they've been making this bike with only minor changes since 1987 (back when manuals were not as thorough as today's manuals. Turn the rotor bolt until the cam lobes are pointed AWAY from the rockers and keep rotating it until you find a mark. I suspect that "C" you're looking at is actually the ignition mark for the other cylinder.

Forget about the letters, whichever mark on the rotor that comes into alignment with your cam lobes facing away from the rocker is the one you want.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
Peace!
-CCinC

Old 02-24-2008, 09:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Why did you need a valve job on a 04,mileage? I just got a 2002 model w/3200miles.How long before the valve guides wear out? I am new to this bike and don't know how long things last or what to expect.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:28 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The valve clearances need to be adjusted every 6500 miles. Unless something goes catastrophically wrong, the valve guides will probably last 100,000 miles, perhaps even the valve seals too.
Our engine is basically half of a Concours; identical bore, stroke, pistons and valvegear, just half as many of them. And Concours engines are known to last sometimes as long as 200,000 miles.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Thought you guys should know I just turned the engine over and she runs great I think possibly better; I'll find out for sure a little later when I do my commute. Only a few casualities through out the process. Stripped the water pipe screws and kinda made my valve cover look like interpritive art with gasket sealer but hey as long it works?

Special thanks to Chris and all the other people who keep posting. You guys are what keep this cite an excellant resource from novices to even the most seasoned riders.

Thanks...keep you guys posted