Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Default Good deal?

Hi everyone, I'm new to KF and biking altogether. I found an offer for a 1993 Ninja EX500 from a guy that lives about an hour away from me. Heres a link to it:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/211620913.html

I'm getting it all for $1000, including a helmet and gloves.

I'm really low on money right now, so 1k is all I can afford.

Is this a good deal?

Old 10-01-2006, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Good deal?

It looks nice, but I can almost guarantee you by his description that it's been down once or twice before. I would check it out carefully, make sure it sounds healthy, take it for a ride etc. If the paint job he said he did looks cheap and shoty, try to make him go lower.

good luck! Let us know what you do, and welcome to KF!

Old 10-01-2006, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

KBB.com lists a retail price for that year/model as $1730, but that's for a bike in non-crashed condition.
It looks promising whenever it's stock and hasn't been abused by some squid, (which is usually not a problem with these bikes, because few squids are secure enough to buy these bikes in the first place.) As long as the guy you're buying it from doesn't have a bunch of tattoos and facial piercings, and as long as you can take it for a test-ride, that's not a bad price.
When you take it for a test ride, lightly take your hands off the bars (while riding on a straight road with no traffic) at 40+ MPH. Keep your hands directly over the bars in case they pull to one side or start to wobble. As long as the bike continues straight with no wobbling or turning, it should still be tracking true.
Replacement mirrors don't cost much, but you might be able to get the seller to deduct that from the sale price.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
-CCinC

Old 10-02-2006, 02:08 AM

I took a look at it today and it worked well. It ran without any problems. It doesn't have a windshield, so he is going to take $100 off until he can get the windshield from his friend who is in New York. I'm going to pick it up on Tuesday. I'm really excited about it . Any tips for a beginner driver?

Old 10-02-2006, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

^^ Great suggestions, just want to add always take a freind who knows bikes to any sale to help you look it over, especially if its your first. also with a bike that old something is garanteed to be wrong with it and if you can only spend 1k you may end up spending all your money on the bike and then saving for a while to fix what would otherwise be simple problems.

But just looking at the pics 1k seems quite reasonable.

Edit:
Looks like you posted while I was typing. congrats on the bike man. If he doesnt have the screen on him I would say take the $100 and buy a tinted one, looks much better and you wont have to worry what condition its in when he finally gets it from his friend, other than that, have fun and be safe.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:51 AM
WAX

Hey I have a bunch of tattoos and facial piercings.

ORIGINAL: calamarichris

KBB.com lists a retail price for that year/model as $1730, but that's for a bike in non-crashed condition.
It looks promising whenever it's stock and hasn't been abused by some squid, (which is usually not a problem with these bikes, because few squids are secure enough to buy these bikes in the first place.) As long as the guy you're buying it from doesn't have a bunch of tattoos and facial piercings, and as long as you can take it for a test-ride, that's not a bad price.
When you take it for a test ride, lightly take your hands off the bars (while riding on a straight road with no traffic) at 40+ MPH. Keep your hands directly over the bars in case they pull to one side or start to wobble. As long as the bike continues straight with no wobbling or turning, it should still be tracking true.
Replacement mirrors don't cost much, but you might be able to get the seller to deduct that from the sale price.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
-CCinC

Old 10-02-2006, 08:47 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Not a problem, just have one of your normal friends act as your agent if you ever want to sell your bike.
One of your normal friends over 50.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

FYI...You can pick up a smoked windshield for under $70. Check Ebay, i've seen some for about 50 for the 94 and up models. Congrats on the bike and ride safe