Gear Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Default RE: Gear Indicator

Im with the other guy near the top, just learn the gears and rpms, I know that 4th gear is 4000 rpm at 40mph, that one pretty much makes the others easy to recognize..............plus I almost never make it past 4th where I live, I let the bitch scream at me weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 11-04-2006, 06:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

Good point. So when it is converted to digital, what adaptors are needed to remove the old cable section? Just plug the old cable area?
From what I can figure is that it has magnets attached to the front wheel with a sensor on the fork measuring the revolutions of the front wheel. These are compared with the RPM of the engine.
Your speedo cable setup does not change.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:17 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Spinner

Good point. So when it is converted to digital, what adaptors are needed to remove the old cable section? Just plug the old cable area?
From what I can figure is that it has magnets attached to the front wheel with a sensor on the fork measuring the revolutions of the front wheel. These are compared with the RPM of the engine.
Your speedo cable setup does not change.
Guess what I am saying is, if you go to the hall effect with magnets etc. and go digital, can you remove the speedo mechanical cable and all related? May as well get rid of extra weight while you at it.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:53 AM

Guess what I am saying is, if you go to the hall effect with magnets etc. and go digital, can you remove the speedo mechanical cable and all related? May as well get rid of extra weight while you at it.
You'll still need the speedo mechanical cable for your speedometer.

This device needs your speed in digital data.
It compares it with the revs of the crank and then calculates the gear you are in.
So it will only display the gear you are in, not your speed.
Btw. It only indicates what gear you are in when the bike is in motion.

That's what you were asking, right?

Old 11-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

You'll still need the speedo mechanical cable for your speedometer.

This device needs your speed in digital data.
It compares it with the revs of the crank and then calculates the gear you are in.
So it will only display the gear you are in, not your speed.
Btw. It only indicates what gear you are in when the bike is in motion.

That's what you were asking, right?
Gottcha, ok I was thinking getting rid of the original cable with added gear and playing with only one device for both speed and rpm.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:51 PM

ORIGINAL: galen31075

all i know is if the bike is bogging down, I need to downshift; conversely I need to upshift if it is scrrrRRRRRrrrRRrreaming[8D]..
I see what your mean but if you look at the gear ratios you'll see that there is a big difference in ratio between 1st and 2nd and 3rd and very little between 4,5,6.
My wife finds that she rolls into a town, she wants to know when she goes down to second or first. Just because it needs more throttle to make up the difference in ratio.
I've seen her rear wheel skid slightly when she did.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I see what your mean but if you look at the gear ratios you'll see that there is a big difference in ratio between 1st and 2nd and 3rd and very little between 4,5,6.
My wife finds that she rolls into a town, she wants to know when she goes down to second or first. Just because it needs more throttle to make up the difference in ratio.
I've seen her rear wheel skid slightly when she did.
Yup, that skid happens to me. Usually tho, if I'm not sure what gear I'm in and I KNOW what gear I WANT, I downshift all the way down to 1st real quick then start from there. For instance if I know I want 3nd gear thru the turn I'm about to make, and I think I'm in 5th, hold clutch and tap-tap-tapta-that-pedal-till-it-stops then 3 more taps up and now your into the beat.. lol.

I love to play with the clutch tho.. one of the joys of not owning a beast. I'll own one some-year.