first twisties on my 500, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Default first twisties on my 500, couple questions

Hey I just visited my folks over the weekend which includes about 80 miles of twisties ranging from pretty sharp (posted 15mph) turns to broad highway turns. I noticed loss of traction a couple of times that kinda worried me and I'm wondering if that was just a disconcerting feeling or I actually came close to washing out. The bike has stock tires with 3k miles on them.

the first time happened when I was taking an increasingly tight turn going uphill. I was in a low gear (I think second) and I accelerated through the turn probably starting about 25 and ending about 40. I didn't expect the turn to tighten so when it did, I increased my lean kind of dramatically and at that point it felt like the tires were giving way a little and it gave me a start, I continued accelerating and followed the turn without any problems but it scared me. I don't think I was leaning too much. I didn't scrape the pegs on the ground or anything. The road was also banked against me (I was turning right and the right side of the road was higher than the left side). Anyway, I guess my question is whether the dramatic shift in my lean amount during the turn was dangerous and whether the loss of traction feeling I had was a sign that the bike was going to wash out or something that happens fairly often but doesn't indicate immediate danger?

As a result ofthat (which happened early on my drive) I took the tight turns pretty slowly for the rest of the trip. The other time I felt the loss of traction was taking a tight turn rather slowly (again banked against me) I think it was posted 15 and I went about 20. The road was kind of cracked and bumpy and I felt a little give, I wasn't leaning much this time so it wasn't as scary but still disconcerting. Both times the feeling was very short definately less than a second.

Anyway, I thought I'd post to see if anyone had some experienced advise. I'd like to be able to take tight turns aggressively and safely, but right now I feel a little worried that I'll get into trouble (as I probably should being a beginner). I take the msf course next weekend so hopefully I'll learn a little in that.

thanks

Old 09-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: first twisties on my 500, couple questions

There are quite a few reasons for the loose of traction, dirt on the roads surface is probably the most common.

In addition, the decreasing radius turn as you describe first is one of the more difficult turns to make and you my have had a little too much speed near the end of the turn.

The second one sounds like you hit a bump in the rough surface of the road.

Check you tire pressure often if you are going to hit the twisties too. A good read to help you along are two books called twist of the wrist 1 &2.

Glad you kept her and ride safe.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:02 PM

I've had a similar experience as you, with the bike feeling like it's going to wash out... definately gets you spooked a lot. Around here a lot of the roads have crack sealant in them (water gets in the roads, freezes, cracks, DOT puts a squishy sealant in the cracks). a few times i've been in a turn and felt my front- then my rear- tire slide toward the outside of the turn. It's mostly on hot days when the stuff gets extra squishy.

Just spitballing here.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Try not to do anything sudden or drastic in a turn. The fastest way to take a turn is also the safest: smoooth.
+1 on what previous poster said. If this is a road that doesn't see much traffic, it could something as simple as a heavy layer of dust on the road. True story: I was riding with my Pa and his friends at this neat place on the AZ/NM border the year before last--very tight corners with excellent visibility, almost no traffic and the asphalt appeared to be new, so I felt comfortable tripling the posted advisory speed (45 in a 15). I was getting nice & comfy on this road and my rear tire suddenly skated out like a speedway bike! YIPE! Nearly lost it.
I pulled over, but couldn't find anything wrong with my bike--tire pressure was good, no chain lube or coolant on the tire. THEN when I stood up I noticed how filthy my knee was! The road had a heavy layer of dust on it!
Despite taking it easy the rest of the day it was still a helluva fun ride:

(The two little circled things are these gargantuan ore trucks that are the size of apartment buildings. This is supposedly the largest open-pit copper mine in the world.)
Peace!
-CCinC