Finally got one!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Questions

ORIGINAL: longinforabike

I have a couple questions. Since I just got my bike and am in love with it , and can't ride it, I like to go out and just start it up. I prolly start itat least once a day...but not always. I like to mess with it by revin it and stuff, and after it warms up a little I like to hear what it sounds like in the higher rpm range. I was just wonderin if I really shouldn't bee doin this stuff and If' i'm hurting my bike at all?! Hope not! I love to play with it a little since I can't ride it yet[:@][:@]! Also I noticed theirs a considerable delayed reaction in the throttle response. Like it'll be idling and I'll try to crack the throttle and it kindaacts a little bogged for a sec before the needle shoots up, like the gas isn't getting where it needs to go like RIGHT AWAY!Is that pretty normal or should the response be like right there when I crack it? Appreciate any advice. Wanna take good care of my baby! Thanx guys!
Hey Longin'.
It's actually pretty bad for your bike to start it up for a few minutes every day. Please don't start it again until you can ride it at least 10 minutes. The reason it's stumbling a little when you first open the throttle? That's is almost certainly because your plugs are becoming fouled with the rich condition required to start a cold engine. It's also very bad to 'zing' an engine in idle or with the clutch in. The crankbearings and other load-bearing surfaces require a certain amount of resistance (/work) at higher rpm, or they will wear prematurely.
So if you really want to take good care of your baby, but it's going to be a few more weeks before you can actually ride her:
~Get a battery tender to charge your battery (they're about $25 for the junior model, which is all you really need.)
~Turn your fuel-petcock (the gas **** on the left side of the tank) to [OFF]
~Start the bike one more time, using the choke only enough to keep the bike running
~Run the engine until the carbs run out of gas
~And finally, don't start the bike again until you're taking it for a ride. If that turns out to be several weeks or months from now and the battery is drained, that's when you're glad you've got the battery tender mentioned in step 1.

Lots of riders think it's okay to start their bike periodically throughout the winter, but they're doing irreparable damage to their engines. It's really best to 'winterize' your bike if you won't be able to ride it for a few months.

Peace and let us know how it goes.
-Chris in Carlsbad, CA

Old 02-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Great post calamarichris, that's it, I am gearing up for a ride this morning. lol

Old 02-12-2007, 02:02 AM

It is winter and everyone in our cold tundra climates are eager to ride them, and if you didn't winterize it because you don't know how or are still learning about bikes... now is a great time to do the maintainence on them... i.e. change the oil, check all the tensions, bolt torques, tire pressure, give it a wash and wax (don't forget to blow dry the water off or someting), etc. I'm in Michigan and can't really take it for a spin with snow on the ground and it will most likely be a month or more before I can really get on it and ride. So, I changed the oil, filled up the tank and put STABIL fuel stabilizer in it, ran it at idle speed for about 10-15 minutes with plenty of ventilation in the garage, turned the fuel petcock off and let the carbs dry out. I took the battery out, filled the low chambers with distilled water, trickle charged the battery at about 1 amp. and keep the battery inside if at all possible until it's time to ride again.

-Justin

Old 02-16-2007, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default another question

Thanx so much guys! I found out that while the bike was at the dealer, they replaced the oil filter and the oil, so I shouldn't have to worry about that for another 2500 to 3000 miles right or do you think I should still replace it? Thanx! I can't wait to drive my bike!!

Old 02-16-2007, 06:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Finally got one!

pics, pics, pics!!!............................

Old 02-17-2007, 05:22 AM

If they changed it at the stealership right before you bought it you shouldn't need to change it for a bit. I just changed the oil on mine for the first time by myself at it cost about $15.00 to do (oil + filter). The stealership charged me $60 the first time so if you can learn how to do it yourself the next time -- you'll be a happy camper with your extra $45.00 for gas/cruisin money. Let us know when you get to take it out, and post some pics on here... everyone wants to see it.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:12 PM

Thats hella kool, I just got a 93 Ninja EX500. It's my first bike and I have hardly been off it since I got it 3 days ago. Hey where is carlsbad, ca?