a few loose screws

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Default a few loose screws

So I went for a short ride to my bank today (about 10 miles) and just as I was pulling in I heard a terrible noise............

My chain guard screws must have vibrated loose and the guard got caught on my chain. I immediately checked everything out and nothing is damaged, plastic chain guard included. Im planning on calling my local dealer and getting replacement screws immediately.

Do any of you ride without the guard? If yes, any problems?

Add this to your list of screws to tighten on a regular basis. Hey CaliChris, do you think a light thread lock on these screws is alright? I ask because I do clean my chain about once every 2 months, but it seems like I should still be able to unscrew those with it on, any suggestions?

Old 01-10-2007, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: a few loose screws

The only real problem would be the chain lube splashing up on your bike/muffler/clothes and the additional noise. (Chains are noisy.)
Light threadlock is fine (the low-strength threadlock, not a light amount of the regular threadlock.) I put it on mine when I performed the first service.
You shouldn't have to remove the chainguard to lube, adjust or clean the chain though.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

P.S. Do you have a copy of the service manual? It lists all of the fasteners that should be tightened at the first sequence as well as the necessary associated torque values of each. It's a long list of fasteners, so I suspect that many dealerships don't bother when they perform the first service. (In fact, I've been to one dealer that didn't even have a torque wrench.)

Old 01-11-2007, 08:20 AM

Yes, I bought it, the funny thing is I cant seem to locate the normal manual that came with the bike, so unless I find it soon I'll be buying another copy of it also

I put this on here for others to see also, but Im thinking next time I will just private message you since no one else responded............... thanks man, I think I will use the low grade lock on it

Old 01-11-2007, 08:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I looked at it but you asked a ? I was not sure of the answer but it was good info to check out on my bike

Old 01-11-2007, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Hey Jamie.
The Owner's Manual is the cute little booklet that comes with the bike from the dealership, and completely different from the Service Manual.
You don't really need the Owner's Manual at all, especially if you already have the service manual and supplement. Unless maybe you were going to sell the bike and wanted to have a full, complete package to give the buyer with your documented maintenance history & receipts.
And while I believe a Svc Manual and a torque wrench are the best investments you can make, the chain guard screws are not mentioned in the fastener tightness checklist, so this could just as easily have happened to me. The only reason I have threadlock on my chainguard screws is because I removed it when I removed the swingarm when I installed my new shock. (I also wanted to remove the swingarm because I've heard of another Kawasaki model that somehow got out of the factory without any grease on the bushings, but there was plenty on this bike.)

There are maybe a thousand fasteners on a motorcycle, so it's a lot of work to clean, lube or thread-lock AND torque them all precisely, but it's a good feeling when you're far from home to reflect that you did every one of them yourself. Most hourly mechanics will estimate the torques, and some even rush and use AIRWRENCHES! But those torque values are listed in the service manual for a reason.

Ride safely.
-CCinC

Old 01-11-2007, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Airwrenches in shops should be banned. Too many "mechanics" use them as a substitute for skill and knowledge. They are wonderfull tools but so many people dont have the knowledge or care to use them properly.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:32 AM

muwhaha, I went in to my shop and lucky for me the parts guy bought some kit from kawasaki awhile back that has a crap load of replacement screws that bikes tend to lose alot. I strongly suggest telling your local parts guy to pick this kit up-it makes it simple for all us cowasocke riders

Old 02-02-2007, 04:33 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

You happen to have the part # for that kit?

Old 02-03-2007, 12:06 PM

I sure dont, but the next time I head up there (probably this week) I will ask him about it