Source for hex screws for our carb?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 05:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Source for hex screws for our carb?

I want to replace a few of the screws that I remove often from the carb to alan types from the current phillips, what's a good source to get these.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Source for hex screws for our carb?

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

I want to replace a few of the screws that I remove often from the carb to alan types from the current phillips, what's a good source to get these.
Just check out the metric section of machine screws at the hardware store.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Thats ano go, just like Yami outboards, the thread pitch or something is different, at least with Home Depot, Lowes and my local hardware store. I would really like a source for some allen type carb bolts. A little help for these bolts and a few others I'd like to switch out.

Bueller? Bueller?

Old 12-20-2006, 06:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi Finger Mullett,

Here's a longshot. Model Air Shop/Hobby shop. They have packaged metric screws,bolts & nuts.

Yeh the tread profile can be different between EU metrics and Asian metrics.

Good luck
CarlB

Old 12-20-2006, 07:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the support Carl, I've seen a few bolt kits on Ebay that would do the trick......but a source to buy bolts that are not crazy overpriced like the steelership would be great! I get my Yami bolts mostly from my spare bolt coffee can, but every so often I end up having to get what I need from the Yami steelership at crazy prices.

PS I'm going to check a few hobbie shops.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:08 PM

Finger Mullet,

This won't help you specifically with hex head carb screws, but for general bolt needs for the bike, this might help.

I did a little searching this morning and found this link:http://www.boltmotorcyclehardware.co...products_id=36

I'm like you - I have seen a number of bolt kits on Ebay that are crazy overpriced and include a few things I need and a million things that I either don't need or that aren't special (like tons of washers and cotter pins). One kit even included their manufacturer sticker as one of the 220 pieces in the kit!

Anyway, the kit in the link I provided is not perfect, but it looks like it is pretty good and it's only $16. I have not ordered from these folks, so I can not vouch for them in any way.

On a related note, I remembered just a few minutes ago that I screwed up (pun intended) one of the float bowl screws and lost one of the diaphragm cover screws a while back. I looked up the bolt dimensions on the Kawasaki (M4 btw) and found some replacements at Lowe's. It never even occurred to me thatthethread pattern might be different. Anyway, they worked just fine for me. They were Phillips head, but they worked. I don't recall having to muscle them in like I would have had to do if the the threads weren't matched. I used the opportunity to replace all 4 screws on each side of the carb with new screws, adding blue loc-tite. Since that time, I have been back into the carb once and I was able to easily remove the screws, do the work, and replace them again. When I first read this thread, I did not remember that for whatever reason. I still want to replace them with hex head (allen head) screws, but for now they are okay.