Any good helmet locks for the 500?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:02 AM
Default Any good helmet locks for the 500?

I'm always paraniod someone is gonna yonk my helmet if I leave it hanging off one of the handlebars... and the helmet lock on the bike is placed in the most random place... I can't even connect my helmet to it if I wanted to.

So what have you others used as a helmet lock? I've seen a few different styles, just wanted to know if any of them worked good on the 500?

I saw one that was a bracket you place behind your license plate which has a helmet lock on the side of it, and would be great if I didn't remove my rear blinkers and put on flushmounts last year (the lock would totally cover them up)

Old 06-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Default RE: Any good helmet locks for the 500?

I went to a hardware store and bought 12" of a small link welded chain and a small padlock. It is easy to pass the chain thru the passenger grip and lock the chain ends to the D-ring of the helmet with the padlock. Then I can set the helmet upright on the seat without worry about it falling off the seat or filling with water if it starts to rain. I use the chain & padlock on my EX500 and my Nighthawk 650. It works for my full-coverage and my open-face helmets.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I use a pistol cable lock they give with guns or police give away got a red on with a gun that matches my bike and helmet. I leave it in my jacket.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

i have a cable bike lock that i wrap around the grab rail. its about 6 feet long, so i wind it up pretty good. i use it to lock my helmet, or if i really want, i can run it through the arm of my jacket and lock that up as well.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:34 AM

I found that if you extend the right passanger footpeg, and put your helmet on it with the visor facing the back of the bike, then holding the d ring in one hand, feed the d ring on your helmet into the lock, then twist it shut and the helmet is supported by the rubberized foot peg, and is lightly wedged against the body of your 500, so it won't shift around.

I can post pics if you don't follow.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Please post those pics - I cant get my helmet to work well with the helmet locks either

Old 07-17-2007, 01:07 PM

Do yourself a favor and NEVER leave your helmet on your bike. Sooner or later you'll regret it and it's not that much trouble to carry it with you.

I've seen them pissed in, $hit in (birds), spit in, known of many that have had the strap cut and stolen, and that's not to mention the elements of heat, humidity, rain, etc. that is just added abuse to your most expensive and important piece of safety equipment.

Sorry to preach. I'm just an old-timer giving advice. By all means exercise your freedom to do whatever you darn well please -that's what it is all about.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Every situation is different. If you're parking your bike near a frat-house or in an alley behind a strip-club, then perhaps you should leave your helmet with the bike (and your head in your helmet so you can stomp anyone who even looks like they're going to use p33 as an instrument of mischief.)

I have two of these rubberbanded underneath my bike's toolkit for those times when you're parking in a public place and there are lots of women around. For some reason guys are less like to pee in your helmet if there are women around to judge them. This is the reason I never eat at fast-food restaurants that don't have any female employees present. Preferably hot.

You can get those helmet extenders in just about every motorcycle shop I've ever been in for only about 5 bucks, or order them online. Just Google "helmet lock extensions."
Good luck and Peace!
-CCinC

Old 07-23-2007, 05:22 PM

Yeah, I'll take pics tomorrow or tonight. And I do agree with not always leaving your helmet with the bike. If I can I'll take it in with me, but if I'm just parking for a little, or I am just off at a rest stop to walk around, its less risk to me to just clip the thing to my bike so I don't drop it or scrape it. Besides which, all my friends and I have had a hell of a time trying to find somewhere to put a helmet when you're taking a ****... I just put mine on, but it's sort of muggy, and it freaks some people out.

Also, with regaurds to people hateful enough to cut straps and **** in them, those are the kinda guys that'll plug your exhaust, or drain your oil, tip your bike, or frankly do anything to **** you off and insure that anything they don't personally own, is destroyed or vandalized. Unfortunetly, there's no real cure for people being A holes....

But yeah, there is a trick to getting the helmet on there. I'll post soon.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Unfortunetly, there's no[legal] cure for people being A holes....
fixed it...