500 Fairing Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 500 Fairing Installation

I wrecked my 500 last summer and I'm trying to get back to stock condition. I ordered and received my new fairing but I'm not sure about how everything is going to go back together cause I don't really remember anyway, if someone could send me pics or description or something showing how the fairing mounts on the stay and on the sides of the bike and whatever...I don't know just need some help figuring it out thanx!

Old 09-19-2008, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Get a copy of the Factory Service Manual and Supplement.

It's pretty simple, really:
Loosen & remove:
~two downward-facing 10mm bolts on the fairing, underneath the headlight
~two downward-facing phillips screws toward the back of the fairing, just above the engine
~four bolts that secure the mirrors

Lift the fairing from the mirror mounts and pull the back edges of the fairing out (apart) and pull the fairing forward a few inches.

Now disconnect and remove:
~the headlight connector directly at the back of the headlight (this might take a little jiggling and patience)
~the turnsignal connector (which is directly to the left of the headlight connector)

Once you've removed the entire fairing/headlight assembly, it's a simple matter of removing the headlight, windscreen, wire-harness guides, and reflectors; and reinstalling them exactly the same way on the new fairing.

It's still a good idea to get the factory service manual and supplement. When you start doing maintenance and repairs like this yourself, the manual will pay for itself very quickly.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.
-Chris in C'bad

Old 09-20-2008, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default thanx

hey thanx a lot! Really appreciate the tips! I'll try to let you know how everything works out!