Slow speed practice

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Slow speed practice

ORIGINAL: Gerg

ORIGINAL: jayden
I'm new at this, so I'm not trying to be a smart *** or anything, but we were taught in the MSF that you should use both front and rear brake for maximum braking ( emergency stopping) http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/15208450398.jpg&s=f5
Being fairly new myself... I saw the same questions... It looks like something of a holy-war between the two camps. It's really up to you to decide what you're comfortable with. Both sides agree that you need to practice, practice, practice, because in an true emergency situation, you'll do what you've practiced. If you haven't practiced, you'll panic, and... that's just bad.

Both Brakes Always People Say:[ul][*] There have been several tests of this theory in magazines, and it seems that the general consensus is that IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, using both breaks will allow you to maintain better control of your bike and stop in a somewhat shorter distance. (Note the IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING part...)[*] A lot of old-school bikers, especially those on non-sport bikes will tell you about stories when they'd lock up the front wheel using the front brake, and there's nothing more scary than locking the front... (Tires have sure come a long way since then..)[*] It's generally safer to use both brakes, because then you have two contact patches working for you. More area means faster stopping, right?
[/ul]

Front Brake Only People Say:[ul][*] On dry pavement, on a sportbike, with decent tires, you're highly unlikely to lock the front. Ever seen a stoppie? (Of course, what if it's not dry?)[*] If you don't know how to use the rear, you will likely stomp on the rear in a panic situation, thus locking your rear tire, which is scary. Second only to locking your front tire. So just avoid using the rear at all costs. There are lots of videos of bikers not knowing how to use the rear, locking it, then releasing it, only to go for a nice high-side... [*] Mathmatically, you can theoretically stop faster using just the front, with the rear hovering ever-so-slightly above the ground. (Of course, it's extremely difficult to do this, and since when is your world mathmatically perfect?)
[/ul]

What I Say... (based on my 1st year of biking):[ul][*] It's a holy war. Nobody's going to win, it's obviously close enough that there is no definitive technical answer. So, it's all based on how well you can execute a particular technique. In other words, it's up to YOU.[*] It all depends on how much you've practiced. If you don't practice, you'll *P*A*N*I*C*, and you won't do anything right. If you've practiced a certain technique, use it. Most everyone will agree to this...[*] I believe that people fear what they don't know. So, I try to get to know all the different parts of my bike, including the rear brake. Learn cautiously, practice, and you won't be afraid of it. Go into a corner too hot, mash on the rear, and you'll want to disconnect it just so you don't ever feel that fear again. But as with everything... it's not the rear brake's fault. It's yours.
[/ul]

Wow, that was longer than I thought it'd be... [sm=rant.gif]

And oh, yeah... Everyone has the right to my opinion...
From my previous post: "Good practice for braking, get up a little speed but your still only about 15-20 and hit brakes, front only you should only use the rear if it is wet or if you have gone off road, even then use with care.
The drill should have about 10 runs at the same speed, each run you should be applying the brakes harder and harder.
Next drill is the same but start increasing your speed to say 25-30, again applying more and more braking on each pass.
This will teach the max braking of the bike and you will be able to stop quicker and with more confidence.
Sometimes it is not just about how fast you go but how fast you stop or how quickly you can avoid a hazard.
Be careful not to be turning to much or not at all when braking. If you are in a turn and apply brakes the bike will want to stand up straight and go straight.
Have fun.

I cannot remember if you said you took the MSF course or not, if not you should."

Greg has made a good point, practice and get comfortable with using front only or front and back, what ever you like just as long as you can stop quickly when you need to.

Ride safe and have fun.

Old 06-03-2006, 07:45 AM
1st Gear Member

My $0.02 worth,I've been riding for about 30 years and I almost never use my rear brakes.Only during "panic stops" to keep the bike going in a straight line.Or if the front brake alone won't stop me in time.Just my $0.02 worth.

Old 06-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: patmandoo

My $0.02 worth,I've been riding for about 30 years and I almost never use my rear brakes.Only during "panic stops" to keep the bike going in a straight line.Or if the front brake alone won't stop me in time.Just my $0.02 worth.
[sm=exactly.gif] I will drag the rear in a corner if I need to slow down m speed with out coming off the throttle and upsetting the suspension.

Like greg said though it is the great debate.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member

like I said earlier, I wasnt trying to be a smart a$$, I just wanted to understand a lil better. I'm sure not everything is text book and everyone developes "habits" whether good or bad. I guess thats where the experience comes in, to find out whats works for your level of riding. Thats why I ask, to find out more info. THANKS for the tips!

Old 06-05-2006, 05:30 PM

troublemaker....

Old 01-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Default Leena's dragging up old posts again...

I'm really enjoying the plethora of information you guys have here. I'm reading up like a fiend, currently enjoying Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch. It's got some track/stunt stuff in there, but a lot of safety and awareness tips and techniques that a newbie like me can eat up.

I plan on snagging Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code next.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Leena's dragging up old posts again...

also check out a twist of the wrist by keith code, great book, great tips and such on racing that can be applied to the streets. happy reading.