Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   Ninja 250R (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/ninja-250r-12/)
-   -   Slow speed practice (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/ninja-250r-12/slow-speed-practice-2768/)

Mr. Toad 03-16-2006 02:58 AM

Slow speed practice

Put some more miles on my ride tonight...

I've had my bike going on 2 weeks now and put some more miles in tonight. Since I'm still running her under 4000 RPM I did about 5 miles of slow speed turns and some just straightaway trying to shift smoothly and parts of it uphill.

I started trusting the bike tonight, no peg scraping yet but now I don't feel like I'm "falling" when doing those tight turns. Once or twice I actually went full left then full right on the handlebars and it was stable as ever (2nd gear, low RPM's, feathering that throttle). Looking to where I want to go definitely helps as I turn my head in that direction my shoulders move and so does the bike. Turning the bike a little in the direction starts the bike in a curve and it's like there were rails there, it just seemed to want to go into the turn smooth.

I can't wait for Saturday when I can put some serious miles on her. I've taken her out a couple of nights and have been forced to run her up to 6000 RPM just to keep from getting run over by cars. Early Saturday should see less cars on the street.

I love this sport! :) (Sorry for the long post)

Notstock 03-16-2006 05:25 AM

RE: Slow speed practice

Good practice for braking, get up a little speed but your still only about 15-20 and hit brakes, front only you should only use the rear if it is wet or if you have gone off road, even then use with care.
The drill should have about 10 runs at the same speed, each run you should be applying the brakes harder and harder.
Next drill is the same but start increasing your speed to say 25-30, again applying more and more braking on each pass.
This will teach the max braking of the bike and you will be able to stop quicker and with more confidence.
Sometimes it is not just about how fast you go but how fast you stop or how quickly you can avoid a hazard.
Be careful not to be turning to much or not at all when braking. If you are in a turn and apply brakes the bike will want to stand up straight and go straight.
Have fun.

I cannot remember if you said you took the MSF course or not, if not you should.

BigRig18Wheeler 03-16-2006 09:03 AM

Awesome!! To both posts..

evil636 03-25-2006 02:56 AM

and if your going slow and hit the front brakes, the bike will want to slap the tank and then the ground so be carefull toad.

BlU3NiNjaVA 03-27-2006 06:05 AM

Great Post!! I will try it this weekend..thanks for taking the time to post it

ZX12Rider 03-27-2006 05:51 PM

Thats awesome Mr. Toad - glad to hear that you're practising what you have learned! As soon as it gets nice enough here - that's what I'm gonna be doing, before I hit the streets!

IndyMike2112 06-01-2006 06:42 AM

I just borrowed "Proficient Motorcycling" from the local library. Awesome book. Lots of interesting physics about riding, but it's very readable and easy to understand. I highly recommend it.

I talked about putting your weight on the outside peg when doing slow, sharp turns and it works perfectly. I'm all self taught about riding, at least until I can get to the MSF/ABATE course. But this book has much to offer and I'm not even halfway through.

Gerg 06-01-2006 09:34 PM

Great advice so far in this thread... I'll add that I've started using the back brake a lot more. ESPECIALLY during very low speeds, I almost never touch the front brake during low speeds < 5-10MPH anymore. The back brake will keep the front end from diving/turning and is a lot smoother.

jayden 06-02-2006 03:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Notstock

Good practice for braking, get up a little speed but your still only about 15-20 and hit brakes, front only you should only use the rear if it is wet or if you have gone off road, even then use with care.
The drill should have about 10 runs at the same speed, each run you should be applying the brakes harder and harder.
Next drill is the same but start increasing your speed to say 25-30, again applying more and more braking on each pass.
This will teach the max braking of the bike and you will be able to stop quicker and with more confidence.
Sometimes it is not just about how fast you go but how fast you stop or how quickly you can avoid a hazard.
Be careful not to be turning to much or not at all when braking. If you are in a turn and apply brakes the bike will want to stand up straight and go straight.
Have fun.

I cannot remember if you said you took the MSF course or not, if not you should.

I'm new at this, so I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but we were taught in the MSF that you should use both front and rear brake for maximum braking ( emergency stopping) http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/15208450398.jpg&s=f5

Gerg 06-02-2006 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: jayden
I'm new at this, so I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but we were taught in the MSF that you should use both front and rear brake for maximum braking ( emergency stopping) http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/15208450398.jpg&s=f5
Being fairly new myself... I saw the same questions... It looks like something of a holy-war between the two camps. It's really up to you to decide what you're comfortable with. Both sides agree that you need to practice, practice, practice, because in an true emergency situation, you'll do what you've practiced. If you haven't practiced, you'll panic, and... that's just bad.

Both Brakes Always People Say:[ul][*] There have been several tests of this theory in magazines, and it seems that the general consensus is that IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, using both breaks will allow you to maintain better control of your bike and stop in a somewhat shorter distance. (Note the IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING part...)[*] A lot of old-school bikers, especially those on non-sport bikes will tell you about stories when they'd lock up the front wheel using the front brake, and there's nothing more scary than locking the front... (Tires have sure come a long way since then..)[*] It's generally safer to use both brakes, because then you have two contact patches working for you. More area means faster stopping, right?
[/ul]

Front Brake Only People Say:[ul][*] On dry pavement, on a sportbike, with decent tires, you're highly unlikely to lock the front. Ever seen a stoppie? (Of course, what if it's not dry?)[*] If you don't know how to use the rear, you will likely stomp on the rear in a panic situation, thus locking your rear tire, which is scary. Second only to locking your front tire. So just avoid using the rear at all costs. There are lots of videos of bikers not knowing how to use the rear, locking it, then releasing it, only to go for a nice high-side... [*] Mathmatically, you can theoretically stop faster using just the front, with the rear hovering ever-so-slightly above the ground. (Of course, it's extremely difficult to do this, and since when is your world mathmatically perfect?)
[/ul]

What I Say... (based on my 1st year of biking):[ul][*] It's a holy war. Nobody's going to win, it's obviously close enough that there is no definitive technical answer. So, it's all based on how well you can execute a particular technique. In other words, it's up to YOU.[*] It all depends on how much you've practiced. If you don't practice, you'll *P*A*N*I*C*, and you won't do anything right. If you've practiced a certain technique, use it. Most everyone will agree to this...[*] I believe that people fear what they don't know. So, I try to get to know all the different parts of my bike, including the rear brake. Learn cautiously, practice, and you won't be afraid of it. Go into a corner too hot, mash on the rear, and you'll want to disconnect it just so you don't ever feel that fear again. But as with everything... it's not the rear brake's fault. It's yours.
[/ul]

Wow, that was longer than I thought it'd be... [sm=rant.gif]

And oh, yeah... Everyone has the right to my opinion... ;)