?? For serious Ninja 250 owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default ?? For serious Ninja 250 owners

I'm an older (40+) rider & currently have an 800cc Shadow.
My first bike wasa kawasaki (destroyed it years ago & lived to tell about it).

I've been wanting something smaller to ride to work & around town on weekends & i love the look of the 250, but i see many people talking about this bike being too small & many for sale after purchase.

Is this a bike i will enjoy riding for the next 5 years?

I know these are hard to get or even see due to back-order.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:17 PM
cls
1st Gear Member
Default RE: ?? For serious Ninja 250 owners

Only you can answer that, and you probably won't know the answer until after you've ridden one. It is a great bike; very economical; and more than capable for what it is. If "what it is" is what you want long-term, you have to decide. The primary issues are the minimal torque down low, the frequent shifting, and/or the high revs at speed. Aside from those, there aren't too many questions. It'll run around traffic all day long. The brakes and suspension are far better than the first gen model. The engine is stronger where it counts most than the old one was. And it looks great.

BTW, I'm 42 and I've had over 60 bikes in the last 25+ years of riding (FWIW). I had two of the old gen. bikes, and I had one of the '08's. I loved it. If I were to keep more than two or three bikes, I'd still have it. As it is, someone knocked it over in the parking lot and "tainted" it (I have my wierd quirks.). I am also dropping back to just 2 or 3 bikes. Under those conditions, I probably will not buy another one. That doesn't mean you will, or won't, love it.

If you lean towards the practical/fun, there's a good chance it'll be all the bike you'll ever need. If you're an enthusiast/performance/image guy, it probably won't cut it.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Riding bikes is in my blood & i believe you either have it or you don't.
I've actually had two bad wrecks, but still love to ride.
Just want something smaller for around town & daily use, but want to make the right choice.

Thanks for any imput you guys have.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:34 PM

I am also an older rider who has had many bikes. I've owned everything from a 125cc dirt bike, to a 900 crotch rocket. I just bought a Ninja 250 and think it's the "funnest" bike I've owned. I live in Colorado and love to throw the bikearound on the twisties and back roads. SHe is fast enough to keep up with the flow of traffic on the interstate and more than capable during the morning and evening commutes to and from work. Unfortunately, I'm waiting on my bike again. I was hit from behind at a stoplight. My bike should be back to me within the next couple weeks.

But for the price of the bike, it is well worth the money and is fun as hell to drive.

Have fun with what ever you get.

Mark

Old 07-03-2008, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Me personaly i would look for a 500. I'm not to sure on how big of a guy you are but i know a 250 is pretty small and if you a bigger guy you might be a little cramped up on it. I ride a 636 and i love it i still get around 40 miles per gallon on it.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a 2008 Ninja 250R and I'm 52. I sold a 2001 ZRX1200R in Dec. and got the 250 in early February. I also had another ZRX1200R but sold that one in 2005 for a Suzuki SV650S but didn't like that bike much (not a fan of Vtwins) also had a ZR-7 Kawasaki and have ridden many MX bikes when I was much younger. I have a feeling I'll have the 250 for a long time, but I may add a bigger bike (not a crotch rocket) or cruiser but maybe a 650 Ninja or Suzuki 650F. I'm having a blast riding the 250. I'm 5'8" and about 175 lbs so it fits me very well. Good luck on your decision. Tom

Old 07-04-2008, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I think it would be fine. its plent fast enough and has great ergos for city riding. Ive talked to a few guys over 6' tall and over 250 and they sont complain. the bike is physically not much smaller than any other sport bike, it just has a smaller tank and a more up right riding possition. personally, I am 5'7" 175lbs and I fit just fine on mine

Old 07-04-2008, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice looking machine you got there Hayes...is that a Yoshi bolt on or full system? I've got a Two Bros shorty alum can bolt on installed on mine...sounds good. Did you paint that bike yourself?

Old 07-04-2008, 05:18 AM
1st Gear Member

I just purchased a new red 250 as a second bike. I also have a 2006 Ninja 636. So far, I love the 250, it is a very capable machine with a great chassis. It is very easy to roll over in the turns. I will be using it mainly for commuting to work as it gets better mileage than my 636. On the highway, I wish it had more power, but it is still impressive for a small displacement engine. IMHO, go for it. It's sporty, gets good mileage, is fun to ride and also has a good resale value. Good luck with your decision!

Old 07-04-2008, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh ya Hayes, that is an awesome color on your bike!

Quick Reply: ?? For serious Ninja 250 owners