rpm drops at increase of throttle

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: rpm drops at increase of throttle

What kind of bike is it? Has it always done this, or just lately? Have there been any kind of adjustments made since it began doing this? (Same type of gas, any mechanical changes/maintenance, air filter change, spark plug change, etc.) If it isn't a "consistent problem" what's different when it does versus when it doesn't do this? What kind of plugs are you using? Are the carbs re-jetted?Is there an aftermarket pipe on it?
If you start the bike with the choke on, then it warms up after about 5-10 min, then you turn choke off, it should idlewithout any "fiddling." If this isn't happening, there's a problem on ANY bike.
Tell us more, and maybe we can help.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

jeff, I've still got a lot to look into before I can offer solid information on the problem. I figured I'd see if this was a common problem with only few possible causes or if I needed to take some time to dig into the bike for some answers. I'll post any further information if it proves useful.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:12 PM

Just turn the idle adjuster screw. It is right there on the left side of the bike near the fuel valve. Adjust it, ride it and make another adjustment once the bike is at operating temp. Don't ride with the choke on...it dumps too much gas and you will foul out the plugs.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Danase, the idle adjuster screw is set to idle at 1.3 +- krpm when warmed up and I don't want to adjust that every time I start my bike. I do have some more information though.

When this problem happens I am sometimes able to turn the throttle up ever so slightly and am able to get enough of a steady increase in rpms to get moving in which case I immediately turn the choke off and problem goes away. So if I give it as little throttle as possible when this problem occurs, I'm able to get out of it and ride off.Giving slightly more throttle, the engine chokes. I read in these forums that proper warm-up consists of starting the bike w/ choke and riding with the choke on for a bit, then turning it off. I used to warm up like this but now once I get the bike moving I turn the choke off and when I squeeze the clutch after even a short ride it idles fine.

Does anyone think it's my gas/air idle mixture screw?