Ph34r t3h g34r! (Fear the gear!) rather, the lack thereof

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Ph34r t3h g34r! (Fear the gear!) rather, the lack thereof

Here's a noob posting so watch out! [8D]

Just wanting to know what brand gear people are wearing, the effectiveness of various materials, brands, etc at different speeds. The reason I am asking is I just saw a vid on a website showing some guy doing a stunt and getting a really bad case of road rash, I won't get into any details suffice it to say it was very, very, very bad.

No I won't be speeding but this guy was going 35 kph and the asphalt tore a hole through his jeans and I want to be able to avoid the same fate.

Brand names welcome!

Old 09-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Ph34r t3h g34r! (Fear the gear!) rather, the lack thereof

A lot of people go with Joe Rocket, Alpinestars, Icon, etc. I bought a Rhyno (not sure if you guys get that in the states or not though). My jacket is a ballistic nylon with a removable liner. I hope it will be as safe and as effective as leather but I am not 100% sure. I have a pair of leather Icon gloves (which by the way are awesome!) and a Shark helmet.

I don't have pants yet but am leaning towards a pair of leather chaps or the ballistic nylon pants to match my jacket. I don't have actual motorcycle boots, but I do wear army issue boots that cover my ankles and are made of leather.

I hope that helps you, my best advice would be to go to a shop and take a look at what they have and try on lots of stuff!

Old 09-21-2005, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks blue. I got the Joe Rocket g34r and fitted that with the gloves as well. Will probably wear some sort of protection for my legs as well and def. leaning towards riding boots or wear my Timberland boots. I wasn't sure if this type jacket could take skidding on pavement going 40 or so. Indeed, none of us plans to be a statistic (splatter on the road) but things happen out of our control and I want to make sure that when it comes time for it, my gear will keep the road off me. Seen too many r.r. to want one, ehehehe.

Old 09-23-2005, 03:47 PM

I wear shorts and a tanktop. [sm=badidea.gif] I know i shouldn't but its damn humid here, leather would be way to hot. Not a fan of the helmet law either

Old 09-23-2005, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Joe Rocket jacket, pants, gloves, Sidi boots and Aria helmet. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_795...y_/tm.htm#7997

I where my gear even when its hot here, if its to hot for the gear than it's to hot to ride. No offense to the last poster but shorts and t-shirt would be very bad if the unthinkable ever happened.

Gear up and arrive alive with your skin.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

The majority of motorcycle jackets (leather and non-leather) have some sort of venting system. I have also heard of people wetting their shirts (not soaking them) and then putting their jackets on, this creates a sort of 'air conditioning'. I wear my gear no matter what! If it is too hot for the gear, then I stay home

Old 09-29-2005, 03:50 PM

I always wear my leather. If you can find it where you live get an under armor shirt. They help keep you cool under the jacket. I also wear a turtle shell, it not only protects your back if you go down but, it helps keep my posture so my back doesn't hurt while I am riding. If your not into leathers they also make riding jeans with kevlar in them.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:07 PM

hey Notstock will you wear that gear for your photo... I don't know about you girls, but I think when I see the pros or guys around my area wearing the full gear... It looks sexy... Kinda like a guy wearing a uniform... GGGRRRRR

Old 09-29-2005, 05:10 PM

I don't have my pants in, but I do wear my jeans... but this is the jacket I wear..

[IMG]local://upfiles/351/3F3007E75D9E41F78736A01CC839FBFB.gif[/IMG]

Old 09-29-2005, 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: littledevil

hey Notstock will you wear that gear for your photo... I don't know about you girls, but I think when I see the pros or guys around my area wearing the full gear... It looks sexy... Kinda like a guy wearing a uniform... GGGRRRRR
Why is it that the ladies like us guys fully decked out in gear (i.e. dressed) and we like the shots of them in....well.....as little as possible......Just a ? to ponder.....

As for T-shirt and shorts, dude, sorry to be so blunt, but you're a statistic waiting to happen. Sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't!! And that's if you're lucky. I have a 27 mile commute, and in the afternoons, in rush hour, it's hot, as hot as Florida where I used to live, but it's just not worth the risk.

Quick Reply: Ph34r t3h g34r! (Fear the gear!) rather, the lack thereof