Oil Light....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Oil Light....

How long should it stay on when you first start the bike?
The past couple days it seems to stay on longer then it used to. It's only like 5 -10 seconds. The oil level is perfectly fine on the bike so I know it's not that. And I changed the oil about 600 miles ago.

Or is this normal. The only thing different that I have been doing is holding in the clutch when it's warming up so the bike doesn't jump forward as much when first going into first gear.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Default RE: Oil Light....

What are you doing when you check the oil? Its my understanding that any change from normal shut off on the oil light indicates a problem. You may try going back to the old way of starting and see if its what you were used to. If it is then I wouldnt worry.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

You are checking the oil level while the bike is fully upright, right? The strange thing I noticed when breaking in my 250 was the oil light seemed to stay on forever at start-up. (Over five seconds.) Now, after 3,200 miles the light goes out after the first few seconds of running.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:18 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, I am curious as to why. If you are sure on the oil level after 600 miles, I am of no help.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:37 AM

the bike jumps forword when you first put it in gear? when was your last cable adjustment the sirves limit is cinda tight

Old 06-10-2007, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

It only jumps forward on the first start up of the day. As soon as I go to the first stop sign it doesn't jump forward. I am going to recheck the oil level. But whenI checked after work let the bike sit for 15min then put it level and the oil glass was full.....

Old 06-10-2007, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok I just counted stayed on for 13 seconds. Oil level is full. When the light went out the oil level was still 3/4 full then after it warmed up it was about 1/4 full while idleling.

I guess this is normal the bike still seems to run good.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:02 PM

That doesnt sound normal. And when the bike is running the site glass should be empty, if not its either overfull or you have something blocking an oil path or a problem with the pump or filter.

Ride the bike 5 min dont just let it idle or it will foul the plugs. Put it on the centerstand take your gear off and check it about 5-10 min later the level should be no higher than the top tick mark on the site glass which is about 3/4 up.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:04 PM

ORIGINAL: dilysi

the bike jumps forword when you first put it in gear? when was your last cable adjustment the sirves limit is cinda tight
If it only jumps after it has sat for a while its normal. The friction of the cold thick oil between the clutch plates causes this. However the cable adjustment should be checked regularly anyway.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:18 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mnosbor

That doesnt sound normal. And when the bike is running the site glass should be empty, if not its either overfull or you have something blocking an oil path or a problem with the pump or filter.

Ride the bike 5 min dont just let it idle or it will foul the plugs. Put it on the centerstand take your gear off and check it about 5-10 min later the level should be no higher than the top tick mark on the site glass which is about 3/4 up.
Ok i think I figured it out when I am sitting on the bike with it upright the light goes off in 3 seconds. And when the bike is on the side stand and started the light stays on a little longer. Cause I pulled the bike out this morning and sat on it when starting it up and the light went off in 3 seocnds. So i think with the bike tilted over it takes longer for it to suck up the oil. And the next oil change I am going to clean the oil pickup filter also.

Quick Reply: Oil Light....