Ninja 650 or 250? Don't be biased!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 04:04 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

as I mentioned previously, since you have joined the KF group, there were no questions asked, just statements of your hate towards carburators. And, until you can know how a carb works, why hate?

When my 250 kept shutting down unless I kept the choke on at all times,
You have some clogging happening in the small ports. and/or a badly adjusted choke or synchronization. Give me your 250, since you are giving up on it. sheesh

Old 10-12-2009, 10:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by joserpm
Oh really now? If carbs are oh-so-wonderful...how come there are NO CARS since the mid 80s that have them? If you love carbs so much, that sure shows something.
It's difficult to meet current EU emissions regs with a carb - or even an efi open loop system without an O2 sensor.

Carbs are no more and no less wonderful than efi, but a damm sight easier and cheaper to maintain. Manufacturers, of course, don't care too much about the maintenance costs to second user owners.

I buy new bikes and I'm happy with the efi systems, but on an older bike or car, where TPS and other sensors, stepper motors, injectors and even ecus are of an age to start to fail, I'd prefer it to be a carb. What that shows is that I'm an engineer with some skill and experience and I'm able to take a considered view. You obviously lack skill, knowledge and open mindedness.

It sounds - and bear in mind that it's easy to be wrong diagnosing from an owner's description over a lot of miles - that your carbs aren't getting all the fuel that they should. Easy things to check are fuel level, fuel condition - no old fuel - petrol tap, petrol filter and the pipes.

After that, the needle valve in the carb float chamber and the possibility of blocked jets. This could be due to debris, or on a bike that hasn't been used for a while, 'varnish' coating and partially obstructing the jets. Poor synchronisation won't give the symptoms you describe. Neither will poor idle setting. I assume that you've got the bike up to full normal temperature before trying to run it without the choke?

If you've paid a guy $400 and he hasn't fixed the fault, you've been ripped off. That isn't the fault of the carbs.

Rob