Comfort and highway milage

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:50 AM
Default RE: Comfort and highway milage

Thanks for the information on the carbs. I'd let a shop do the rejetting on it. Any idea on how much, if any power I would gain, and what it would do to the fuel economy? Will the pods suck in rain water when rding in the wet?

The seat says it fits up to a 2006. I'm going to email and ask if it will fit a 2007.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:54 AM

It will fit an 07. They havent changed the body since 88.

You might gain hp, nothing noticible. Not worth it for me to bother.

I dont know about the rain, its a thought though, I havent heard anyone complain so maybe its not an issue.

It will affect the economy larger jets = more gas volume probably not much though.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:55 AM

oops its 2 hp gain

Old 08-07-2007, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

The only noticeable power gain you get is if you set the valve clearances a little tighter that they should, this actually increases the power band to start at lower rpms but kills it at the 11+ range, also makes you have to check them more often, if you want more power get a bigger bike, i personally love the 250r's 67mpg that i get so i wont mess with the bike's set up.
-- that seat looks nice and mightconsider changing it once i can save the 300(ouch), but it is cheaper to ride with a soar bum, hehe

Old 08-07-2007, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the advice mnosbor.

I'm planning on a new one (07 or 08) so it will have a waranty, and I can get the good times extended waranty. That way, I know all of the history of the bike and I don't inherit someone elses damage. I plan on keeping it a few years. I plan on picking it up in the next three months.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Talca

The only noticeable power gain you get is if you set the valve clearances a little tighter that they should, this actually increases the power band to start at lower rpms but kills it at the 11+ range, also makes you have to check them more often, if you want more power get a bigger bike, i personally love the 250r's 67mpg that i get so i wont mess with the bike's set up.
-- that seat looks nice and mightconsider changing it once i can save the 300(ouch), but it is cheaper to ride with a soar bum, hehe
It does look like a lot of work to get another 2hp. I may just put in the K&N replacement air filter (not the pods).
The main reason I'm interested in this bike is the fuel milage.

I'm definately going to get the seat after I get a rack in the back.

I went to my local Kawasaki/Harley/Buell dealer. I told the salesman what I needed in a bike. He walked me straight past the Harley 883, past the Buell Blast, and right to the Ninja 250r.

What's a good, reasonably priced riding suit for the Houston area?

Old 08-07-2007, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member

you should email the local dealers in your area, and make sure that they know you sent them all emails, (you know all the addresses in the "To:" section), that way they feel a little more like competing, I have read that the deals on the 250r are pretty much the same across the board, but sometimes you can negotiate the extra fees they add on, like you know "headlight fluid" and the "Flux Capacitor" or any other ridiculous stuff they add on

Old 08-08-2007, 01:30 AM

It it kind of a crap shoot buying used, Ive been lucky so far. I have a salvaged '03 250 and salvaged '01Katana 600 and paid $3500 total for both of them. Havent had any issues with either. But getting a 250 from someone that didnt keep the oil topped off would be bad.

The good times warranty is so so, Ive heard people have problems getting it honored. But it may be more of an issue of having a crappy dealer than a problem with Kawasaki.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:54 AM

I hope my 250 can be ridden comfortably on the interstate.. this is the main type of riding i will be doing.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:57 PM

The most important thing to remember is that your body has to become accustomed to the new position and seat. If you try and pull of a long ride the first couple times you will get pretty trashed.

My first trip on the interstate was 70 mph. It was so smooth and I was so taken by the smoothness of the bike that it brought a tear to my eye. Well until I thought about what I was doing then fear and paranoia set in. lol

The wind on the other hand takes some getting used to, this has absolutely nothing to do with the bike aside from the windscreen. The buffeting on the Katana is just as bad.

The mistake I was making was opening the arm vents on my textile jacket, even with the back open it turned into a parachute and pulled back on my shoulders horribly. If I wear the textile I have to zip the front all the way and close the vents which is miserable so I switched to mesh.

As far as top speed theres plenty enough to get you a good sized ticket. You are better off taking each gear up to 10-11K (I forget to look) before popping into the next. The powerband is up there so your just taking proper advantage of it that way.

Quick Reply: Comfort and highway milage