New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Newb here Newb question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I've had 3 real accidents and laid the bike down about a dozen times over 44 years and about 600,000 miles. I could still go out and do it again tomorrow. I've also dropped a few bikes when I've been careless about the kick stand. I once laid a brand new bike down in front of a group of students on a course I was teaching when I just forgot to set the centre stand. That was embarassing.

I think you've made a very poor choice of first bike - you learn a lot more, learn it faster and learn it better on a 250 or something similar, so you'll have to put in a lot of extra work. Your biggest problem is learning how to ridethe bike flat out - which with this bike is rather fast - without having the experience of road and traffic issues to be safe at high speeds.

The basic control skills aren't an issue. Learn how to control speed using the clutch and rear brake, how to ride feet up full lock to full lock figure eights and how to use the brakes properly - especially the use of the rear brake at slow speed. Any bike is OK for this initial training. Master these basic low speed skills and you won't lay it down too often. Poor clutch control and incorrect braking are the common causes of very low speed lay downs. Practise is the cure. MSF course is essential. Get into the habit of always having the right foot on the peg all the time the wheelare turning, so that you reach therear brake. That means you always stop with you left foot going down. Don't let my comments about the rear brake confuse you, by the way. The front brake is the one that does most of the work once you're moving at sensible speeds - anything over about 10 mph.

Be aware that if you do track days or take a track based training course you'll be taught things for the track that are simply wrong for the road - especially in terms of braking and lines to take.

Rob

Last edited by williamr; 11-17-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF,, Me if im not layin mine down then im not riding,, But I own a KLX and im pretty much strickly dirt.. So My accidents was pretty soft, but its all a learning curve, glad your ok and keep gettin back on and get comfy with your new pride...

Old 11-22-2008, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok guys another question....Been riding around the neighborhood for a bit. Laid it down coming into a turn dont wanna experience that again. Still trying to work out taking the MSF course with my employers....

1. When stopped. Is it best to have both feet on the ground or one on the rear brake? I am hearing conflicting stories.

2. Hills. Whats the best way to accelerate from a hill without taking off like a maniac? I can do this in a manual tranny car just fine.

3. 90 degree turns. This is who I laid it down. Either coming too fast or didnt turn enough or both. I also was looking at the curb instead of the road. Whats the best way to take a 90 degree turn without slowing down to a crawl?

Old 11-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I'm not telling you that you should speed my any means, however to a point the slower you go the harder it is to balance. So when coming into corners, don't go too slow. As far as stopping, I always keep my right foot on the peg and using and covering the brake pedal. Its an automatic thing as you come to a stop you somehow lean slightly to the left and your left foot hits the ground.

Here is the trick to stopping and taking off on a hill. There is a switch that you need to learn after stopping. When you come to a stop, having both brakes applied, you need to have your foot on the rear and let go of the front brake. the switch that I'm talking about is in case you stopped with your right foot on the ground. Apply both brakes and then let go of the front. I hope I'm not confusing you. Taking off is simple, with your foot still on the rear brake all you do is let out the clutch till you feel the clutch start to grab and then its just a combination of more clutch out, more throttle and less brake meaning zero brake as you start to roll. It just takes time and practice.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome You need to practice, Alot. I went down when I first started because I got cocky. Since then with well over 130,000 miles and 26 years of riding I have done good. The 6R is a bit much IMHO for some one wanting to learn to ride. Your goal should be zero drops. At the rate your going I would hold off on riding until you take the class. Those bikes are cheaper and don't get much damage when dropped. Again, this is just my opinion. It will get better with time though.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Every problem you described goes back to clutch/throttle control. Get some practice man. Don't worry about how big the bike is, your brain is what controls how fast you go. Also when going into turns you should be looking for the exit, and be on the throttle. At intersections I go with a foot on the rear brake sometimes, but rarely with both feet down. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by luchini06
1. When stopped. Is it best to have both feet on the ground or one on the rear brake? I am hearing conflicting stories.

2. Hills. Whats the best way to accelerate from a hill without taking off like a maniac? I can do this in a manual tranny car just fine.

3. 90 degree turns. This is who I laid it down. Either coming too fast or didnt turn enough or both. I also was looking at the curb instead of the road. Whats the best way to take a 90 degree turn without slowing down to a crawl?
While the wheels are turning you should always have your right foot on the peg. You come to a stop on the rear brake, easing off the front as you slow past walking speed. This eliminates the risk of a front wheel lock up. As long as you're in neutral you can put your right foot down after you've stopped, as you can hold the bike on the front brake. Before moving off, you must have your right foot down so that you can use your left foot to put the bike into gear. Then you must swap feet so the right foot is covering the brake before you start to move. It sounds like a pain in the ****, but you soon get used to doing it automatically. So basically while you're sitting waiting for the lights to change you can either or both feet down as long as you get things in the right order before you pull away. I tend to have my left foot on the peg ready to engage gear at the amber light. If you're at an intersection you'll want to be in gear with the clutch pulled in so that you can move as soon as a gap appears. In this case you'll have your right foot already on the peg ready to go. If you're lazy and never actually shift down into neutral (not good practice) there's never any need to take your right foot off the peg.

Hills. Learn how to use the clutch. You should easily be able to pull away with the tacho sitting steady at 1,500 rpm. Practise riding very slowly. Keep the throttle constant and use the clutch and, if needed, a little rear brake to control the speed. Vary the speed randomly between fast walk and a very slow walk. Do it feet up. Master this and you've solved your hill start problem. Take off hiolding the bike on the rear brake and keep your fingers away from the front brake.

90 degree corners - intersections and the like where it's tight. Slow down to a crawl. Use the clutch as above, with the rear brake to control your speed. Look where you're going, not at the curb. Try to go too fast and you'l fall off. That isn't clever, so keep it slow.

As someone else said - much of it is about clutch control.

Rob