New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

newb here and to bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 07:16 AM
Default newb here and to bikes

well i am new to bikes and on the site i am getting my license and thinging getting a Ninja 250R as a starter bike give me some advice i am from salem oregon and i am into cars (nissans) but trying to get into bikes

Old 02-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: newb here and to bikes

Welcome to KF Ser503
The 250's are great for some but not so great for others. One of my first street rides came from Corvallis, OR

Old 02-05-2007, 08:55 AM

I took one of those motorcycle training classes to get my license and rode 250s for that 2- or 3-day course and then bought a used low-mileage, slightly damaged Ninja 500R. I'd reccomend taking a class; its tough to learn otherwise unless you've got a patient buddy who's willing to risk his best friend's well-beingat your inexperienced hands. The 500R has proven to be the perfect starter bike for me. The 250s are perfect to learn on buta little under-powered after you've got the hang of things. Just my opinion, but thenI only have a few thousand miles of riding under my belt so far so other more experienced riders might have a different take.

Good Luck.

Chris

Old 02-05-2007, 01:41 PM

welcome to KF. TAKE THE CLASS!!!!!! Not only will the class save you money on insurance. It could save your life, and the life of your passenger and the lives other people on the road. Some of the class is just stuff that you probably already know, but a lot of it is stuff that you want to know when you need to escape a bad situation. If you ride on public roads therre WILL be bad situations. I think most of us seek to find the very limit of our bikes perfoamance. You'll find this very quickly on a 250CC bike. I started on an EX500. Looking back, I wish I had bought a nice used one. I drove it one season then I was ready for a bigger bike. If you are buying a used bike, I think looks are important. The only way I'd ever consider a used bike is if it looked like irt was kept in showroom condition. All of my bikes look better than they did when I bought them. To me this isequally as iportant as milage. It shows that the bike was really cared for.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

hi and welcome.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF. Take the MSF class if you can. You'll learn a lot.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums Ser503. Riders Course is definetly a good way to start. Good experience can come from those classes. Just remember ride safe and within your limits.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I signed up my wife and two other couples in the MSF Class back in October, and while one of them got hurt and had to leave the class and another failed the class by one point, they all said that the class was the most tiring and stressful thing they have ever done. But they also said the bottom line is that you will learn stuff you for sure didn't' know. I am still going to take the class even though I have had a couple of road bikes, and now the KLX 250. The fact that I have put 4200 miles on my bike without an incident is inconsequential. 4200 miles in the stream of time is like a grain of sand on the beach...........What is this deep thoughts by Jack Handy?

Old 02-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

My wife passed

Old 02-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF

Quick Reply: newb here and to bikes