New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

New Guy from Iowa

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Default New Guy from Iowa

Got my first bike this year, a 2001 Suzuki Katana GSXF 750cc. It was salvage title, had some road rash that had been touched up. Fell down once in my driveway (neutral on kickstand on hill=bad lol) garage on the other good side and I ended up having to put a new trans cover on it and touched up the fairing best I could.

Anyway, it was missing a bunch of bolts, had a loose windscreen, mirrors were janky. It was pretty ghetto and I probably overpayed at $2100 for it with 14k miles. But it taught me well. All my friends are on SS bikes and were saying how it was too slow and boring and I should start on a 600 ss bike. I personally felt the Katana was probably too fast for my first bike. I was scared to death of full throttle for a long time - they're supposed to run mid 11's. I eventually got comfortable with it but I never did like the Katana cause it was so big and felt ghetto rigged. I hated trying to have fun on twisties with it. I sold it for $2200.

I knew I wanted another bike next year but didn't think I'd buy one so soon. My buddy gave me his 2007 ZX10R to ride for a few days, and it SOLD me on a ZX6R - I got brave enough to give it throttle once and it scared the living hell out of me, although was crazy smooth and didn't scare me till I actually saw how fast I was going. But I loved how I sat on it, it was just so comfortable for a sportbike. I felt better on it than my 'sport-touring' katana or my buddy's 09 busa.

So I became a ninja fan after that cause most all of them feel "right" to me. I still want a newer ZX6R eventually but I'm still a relatively new rider with only about 4 months experience so I don't want to invest that much in a bike yet. I did want something more solid, lower miles, nicer, etc.

Last night I caught this ad literally within 30 minutes of being posted and called in morning. Was asking 4300, drove and met him and gave him $3500.
It's a 08 ZZR 600 with only 3.7k miles.

I'm in love, plain and simple.

Only negative at the moment is I'm a squid since I gave my gear away with my katana since it matched the katana.

Not going to lie I'll be riding as a squid for about a week although taking it easy - not playing too much on twisties for now. Going to be ordering helmet/jacket/gloves/etc in a day or two. Till then squidding it up in my sweatshirt/jeans/my helmet I used in my drag car that doesn't have a shield.
Pics:

Matches my car

Parked behind my Ruckus, most badass vehicle on the streets around here lol

Ideas for exhaust? This thing is SO massive it's just GOT to go but I love how quiet it is, my katana was retarded loud with it's D&D.

First day of ownership - 150 miles

My old katana, my first bike - buddy has it now.
This picture makes it look way better than it was, it did look good from a distance though. I hated it being yellow though.

Buddy gave me his ZX10R for a few days to just ride it and take some pics for his for sale ads. It's still for sale. It's what basically sold me on some type of kawi sport bike. I'd of loved to buy it but I just don't need a zx10r right now, just too much.

Last edited by Clinical; 09-04-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Well hey..
You be carefull on that thing,looks like you got a good deal

Old 09-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Love the Ruckus! Those things remind me of the old 5 hp home made mini bikes from back in the day. Welcome to the forums Clinical!

Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the ZZR, those things are a die hard ride and will meet your learning needs for sure. (nice pics too) You mentioned gear, so good to hear that you have that in mind again for this ride too.

I was not a katana fan, but prefered my ninja 750 instead because of the road ability and comfort. Suspensions sucked it seems in the '80's it seemed.

Your buddy with the 07 10r must be on crack to lend out his ride. I love my second gen 10r, so maybe my respect of it tends for me to say NO to other riders. But you must be best of buds for that offer/opportunity to be offered. (the suspension needs revised and almost 20hp to be gained with that ride from stock)

again, congrats on the zzr600