New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

new girl on block

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 05:52 AM
Default RE: new girl on block

Welcome to the forums... I agree with the gear change, that will definately make your acceleration alot quicker. Then theres always a filter, pipe and a Power Commander to get as well. All of these will boost your performance and fill the need for speed.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: flawless

I don't think the bike is sick. It may be me! lol I may be shifting to ealry because I can not get it off the ground yet. When I talk about speed, I mean acceleration. That's why I am here to learn more and get some good tips on how to improve performance. Oh yeah what is the powerband?
well then there is no doubt that your not changing gears at the right time.... or in other words hitting the power band.... have you taken any safety course? or did you learn how to ride a bike from friends.... i mean i think these are valid questions cause a safety course would explain what powerband means.... and i don't mean to affend you at all.... so please don't take it wrong.... it's just that i would hate to see a newbie get on a bike and not fully understand how powerful the bike really is.... then end up getting hurt or worse... i'm not trying to scare you at all.... but you really need to respect the bike..... this is my 2 cents for you.... take it for what it's worth or not, but before you start messing around with the gears or exhaust or PC.... i feel you should take the time to understand the bike, what kind of power it really has bone stock... understand what the bike is capable of doing.... and most of all know your limits.... we don't want to see one of our own family members hurt for any reason.... and ya since you joined up, you became a family member. not just a member in a forum, but a part of this great family who watches out for each other.... so just take it slow... i ment what i said about girls taking things to the limit.... just as long as they know what their doing....

Old 01-08-2006, 03:46 PM

I have not taken the safety course yet but am registered for one in March. I basically bought the bike and went and got my endorsement and have been riding around ever since. I had been riding my friends bikes here and there but for the most part my father taught me on his harley about two years ago. That is a much different bike than the 636 but i like the 636 and the tuck position. It is comfortable for me. I have had the bike up to 156 and that was enough speed for me. I would like to know every aspect of the bike and what it does or how it affects the ride so can you direct me to some good reading? The only thing that I have done to the bike is put a lowering link on it so I could sit flat footed at stops. I think I am going to raise it back up some because I feel comfortable with the bike now. I noticed since it was lowered I feel the bumps more so than before.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:25 PM

ok now that we know a little more now and all joking aside, i must believe that early shifting is the problem. Just take it easy til your course and after that you should be able to fully enjoy the bike. Glad to see another chic on a 636.(yes the guys in here dont mind see chics on bike, we all enjoy it) The best bang for the $$ would be the gear change since you are looking for more acceleration. You will then learn what power wheelies are. lol Good luck ride safe and keep us posted sis.

powerband- the point in the rpms that the engines top power is found. depends but around 8-11 rpm but this will vary from bike to bike. Its when u can really feel the bike "pulling" away. U can really feel it in the first 3 gears on the 636.

hope this helps

Old 01-08-2006, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Correct me if Iam wrong, but I always thought the powerband was the complete rpm range, for instance a dyno sheet. Never mind. Iam stupid, I was looking at my dyno sheet and realized you dont start the sampling until 3rd gear and about 25-3000 rpm, and yea a bikes power band would be higher then my little civic.

Sorry, anyways to the piont welcom to the forum and I hope all your questions are answered. btw nice bike I like.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forum Take your time and get to know the bike. Trust us, it will be fast enough for sometime.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the fourms. I would say that you may be shifting too soon. Try running up the rpms a little more and you should be supprised on the acceleration of your bike. I know when i get my rpms up in 1st and 2nd my front end gets real light and wants to come up on my and i'm 6'1" and 190 lbs. Just be careful would hate to see it loop on you.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forum! blows my mind that u dont think this bike is quick. i dont know how much difference there is between the 04 and 05 but mine still show me whose boss from time to time. enjoy the forum!

Old 01-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Zbike

Welcome to the forum Take your time and get to know the bike. Trust us, it will be fast enough for sometime.

Wise words in that quote. Know your ride and yourself and learn something Not a bad deal.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums! Glad to see you are out enjoying the bike!

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

ORIGINAL: Zbike

Wise words in that quote. Know your ride and yourself and learn something Not a bad deal.
Definately agree with the guys on this one - my 500 hauls a$$ when you get the shifting down right!

Quick Reply: new girl on block