New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

n00b needs some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 04:07 AM
Default n00b needs some help

Hello All!

First post

I recently sold my bimmer as (1) the warranty expired (2) I was moving out of the country for a bit and (3) the gas mileage for local driving was

Upon my return I'm looking to grab a dual sport bike. I can't really see myself on a sport bike (need to hit the gym a bit first!) and like the look of the 2013 Kawasaki KLX250 (or) KLR 650. I think the green is pretty slick

I could definitely use some advice on what to consider when purchasing a bike as I know very little and don't want to appear like a complete idiot when walking into the dealer. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

I've rode bikes years ago and don't need a massive engine. Though I love speed, I'm over that stage of my life... sorta. But is the KLX (or a comparable model across any brand) going to cut it for street driving? Although most of my driving is local... is it suitable for a 30-45 minute drive down the highway or back roads to the city? I live in the burbs...

If I'm going to be doing mostly street driving when I use it... though being able to go off road will open up doors... is it still cool for dual purpose bikes? Or are they meant for 15-20 minute drives.

Upkeep? What goes quick, what lasts for ever?

What's a reasonable negotiation rate at a dealership? Can I talk them down $250, $500, $1,000?

I'm sure more questions will follow. I thank you all very much in advance for any insight!

FlyersKid

Old 08-24-2012, 04:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I primarily do city driving and the bike is fine for it. You might want to upgrade the seat if you have a 45-minute commute.

I bought my '12 in Jan. for $5,160 OTD. Bear in mind though tax and registration varies by state. It helps if you have a couple of dealers to bid against.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome Flyer,

Both bikes will do the trick for you. The KLX is light and flickable, good on the streets and dirt, okay on the highway, but not all that enjoyable at 75 mph freeway riding. It's a street-worthy dirt bike. And it's happy to motor along all day long on the trail or the highway as long as your butt can handle the hard seat. It's kind of anemic in the power department in stock form, but responds well to aftermarket pipe & jetting. And if you want more power, there are several big bore kits, clear up to a 351 (which I have now). I really enjoy the heck out of my KLX. There's several good aftermarket seat options if you find your butt going numb.

The KLR is a great dual-sport compliment to the KLX. It does just fine on the highway, not too bad on the 75 mph freeway, good in town, and it'll tackle gravel and dirt roads with a smile. It's not designed as a dirt bike as it's a heavy pig, but some guys ride the heck out of them on some fairly gnarly stuff. Somewhere around 100 lbs heavier than the KLX. Great for camping, longer tours, or even riding two-up can be done.

Maintenance intervals on both are pretty long. Change the oil, lube the chain, fill her up and ride. Check valves occasionally and adjust them infrequently. Spend some time filtering through the KLX250 forums and see what other have to say KLX 250S - Kawasaki Forums

Old 08-24-2012, 04:55 AM

Thanks for the advice. I work from home so don't commute that distance regularly... but wouldn't want a sore bum when I do. As for having multiple dealers compete, point noted. Thanks again!

Old 08-24-2012, 05:24 AM

@IDRIDR - thank you for your response as well!

It sounds like the seat needs a replacement regardless

When you say it's not all that enjoyable doing 75... what's the issue? Pushing the engine limits or...?

I'll definitely be reading through the forums. I've just came across the site tonight as I kill time waiting for friends from America to arrive for a weekend of fun.

Also, at the risk of sounding incompetent, when really I have just not had the chance to yet do my research, I assume a motorcycle license is required for street driving?

Old 08-24-2012, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

The bike will generally do 75, but you're likely going to be riding close to wide-open throttle. Not at redline, but it will be buzzing some. The bike is light and just doesn't give the best sense of stability at that speed. Some get head shake at speed, but that can be remedied with tire balancing and suspension adjustments from what I hear (mine never did it). The sf model is probably a better choice for all street driving with lots of freeway time. See posts from ahnh666 as he does lots of freeway riding.

Most or all US states require a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license. In Idaho, where I'm at, you can get a temporary permit with limits (no night time, no passengers, no freeway) for 6 months with a written test, and need to take a rider's test for full endorsement.

I highly recommend taking a Rider's Safety Course. Some states may require it. I rode street for years and finally took a course last year. I learned a lot! Well worth the time and money.

Be safe out there. Gear up and stay alive.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:20 PM
1st Gear Member

IF you are not doing dirt or if you are doing light dirt roads I'd look at the Versys. It's a road bike that can handle well maintained dirt roads. Needless to say it is not a dual sport as some dealers advertise. Not sure about the states but here in Australia they come with ABS. The Versys's stablemates are the Ninja 650 and the ER-6n, all 3 use the same engine, gearbox and some other running gear and are good on fuel while being more usable for road riding than the dual sports (KLX, KLR).
Not trying to turn you off dual sports (I love them myself) just offering you other options you may not have thought about.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah agree with the above info, if you are going to ride 80% street and or longer miles, the 650 will be better. If you are going to ride around town to get to the gravel roads and trails, then the KLX would be better. It really depends on what you want to do.