KLR buyer needs some help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Default KLR buyer needs some help!

I have been searching for the right (read: cheap) KLR for some time now. I love my KLX, especially off road, but I would like something a little more powerful for longer distance adventures. While I would love a new/ newer KLR, I simply do not have the funds. I found this KLR locally. It does not list the year, but my research suggests that it is a late 80s/ early 90s example (lime green and blue color scheme).

Here’s the deal on the bike: According to the owner, it has 24,000mi, the valve timing is off, but it apparently “starts up and runs well”. It also needs new front brake pads. The only picture I have of the bike looks decent. I would post it on this thread, but I don't have a image hosting account.

Sadly, I am not very mechanically knowledgeable, so I am looking to those of you who are for help. Assuming that the above stated is in fact all that is wrong with this bike, what kind of costs would I be looking at to get this thing road worthy and reliable? I know of a really well regarded independent mechanic in the area that apparently does exceptional work, as long as you don’t mind waiting. I would probably try and have him do the work rather than take it to a stealership.

Would it be possible to add an electric start to this bike (I’m assuming this era of KLRs did not have the electric start button)? If possible, how much would something like that cost.

Based on the info above, how much would you pay for a KLR like this?

Is there anything else that I should be on the lookout for given this bike's vintage/ milage?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

check KBB.com and NADA.com for bike prices. Check if the doohicky has been done, and if not, do it. Hard to comment without knowing what else is right or wrong with the bike. That's pretty old and you may be able to find something closer to year 2000 or newer for not much more money. But old doesn't make it bad as long as it's been taken care of.

If you want to know more about adding an e-start, find out for sure what year it is and post in a more active KLR community like one of these:
KLR650 Only Thread...... - ADVrider
KLR 650 Modifications - ADVrider