New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

My first bike need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Default My first bike need help

Iam 31 6 feet 197 lb how do you know when a bike is right for you. I'am looking at everything from 600cc to 1000cc. I want a brand new bike because I do not want to buy anyone's junk. Is it a good thing to go new or used ? I took the the MSF class and I pass with flying colors. When I buy my bike I'am going to keep it for a every long time. Does that mean I should start with something bigger like a 750cc or a 1000cc . Am I going to desire more power later and speed. If I choose a 600cc can I keep up with a 750cc and a 1000cc bike. I was planning on a 636 R because I was told that kawi have the most power of all bike is this true. Why not honda 600 or yama 600, or suzu 600cc. or 750. I want that one bike .that can do it all and I do not have to worry about up grading to something bigger with more power. If I have to sup up or put some add on to a 600 to make it faster when I master the bike then I'll do that to keep up with the 750 and 1000cc. will this cost more by up grading a 600 than buying a bigger or will I spend more money that way and I should of brought a bigger. If any one know what I can do to hook up a 600 kawi let me know. I was planning on buying a bike next year or this winter, is kawi coming out with something for 2006 that I should wait for As any one can see I need help a lot of help.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My first bike need help

Welcome shawn_460

Riding is lots of fun and an activity you need to practice at to get comfortable. As far as bike size, you dont really need a 1000cc bike unless your looking at cruisers. The sport bikes can get you introuble so fast you won't know what happened. A 600 is very fast. As for keeping up with bigger bikes, that will be something you should look at after you have some miles under you belt. the first year or so you need to ride and get used to traffic. You dont know how intimidating it is to be riding next to a big tractor trailer at 70 mph[:-]

Don't feel you need to prove your a fast rider until you feel able to do it.

As for used verses new. You can find some sweet deals on used bike. Very low miles and in mint shape. Bikes lose alot of value the minute you pull out of the dealership. Plus the sportbikes have lots of plastic. The first time you drop it you will cringe[sm=headbang.gif] Just not as much on a used than a new.

hope this helps alittle

Old 05-16-2005, 06:41 AM

Welcome shawn_460

Zbike said it right, 600's are plenty for the streets and for the track if you should choose to take it there from time to time. Don't think the they can't run with the bigger bike, cause they can actually run faster on the tight twisty stuff then the bigger bikes. Just look at any mag when the do the comparisions when they run at Willow Springs raceway (short course). the 600 post faster times then their bigger siblings. That is what we see day in and day out as far as riding conditions too. If all you care about is straight line speed (longer then quarter mile runs) then go for the bigger size, but if your just riding around town or mountain roads, 600's are plenty of bike for that.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Hello and welcome shawn_460! Here is my opinion - I am close to your age, and recently took the MSF. I bought a used Ninja 500 last December. There are a number of reasons that I bought used:

1. Price, I paid $6,000 less for my bike then what a new one would cost
2. Damaging (from dropping) a used bike, wouldn't be as aggravating as a new one
3. The bike I bought was in awesome shape, hardly any scratches, no dents, average mileage (not too high or too low for the year)

Let me tell you the first time I dropped my bike, I wasn't too pleased [:@], I did get lucky though and there was very little damage - just a few scratches. But nonetheless - I was ticked off. If it was a new bike, I would have been really really mad, plus, stuff probably would have ended up broken (thats just the way things go it seems )

As for upgrading, I have no plans on it in the near future. I would imagine my first upgrade will be to a brand new 500 (I LOVE this bike, I can't believe how much fun it is to ride!!!!!) It has more than enough power for me!

Good luck and be safe!

Old 05-22-2005, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Since you are a new rider, I would suggest picking up an older (mid to late 90's) 600 somewhere for a couple reasons. The bike will go down, either falling over or forbid you have a crash. You won't be quite as upset as a brand new shiny one falling over. Those plastic parts are damn expensive.

Also, being a new rider, insurance for a new liter bike will cost you fortune. Being 31 will help, but never owning a bike before will cost you. I don't know what state you live in, but I can bet insurance for a say a brand new GXSR 1000 would cost you better than 2-3 grand a year. I'm not kidding. When I bought my ZRX1200R back in '01, I hadn't had a bike for about 10 years at the time and Geico wanted $4000 a year for full coverage and Progressive wanted $1800. And I have a motorcycle license and took a MSF class.

I know you don't want anyone elses junk and I don't blame you. But you can pick a decent 600 - 750 something and ride it for 6 months to a year and sell it for close to what you paid for it, and then get what you want.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, welcome to the board.

Kevin

Old 01-08-2007, 07:36 AM

Shawn_460, dont let these people discourage you from getting what you want.
I got my first bike two months ago, ZX-10 and i love it. I bought it brand new. The ZZR-600 is another good bike for a beginner. The only thing i dont like about the ZZR-600 is it has carb.
I really dont think too many people in this forum have anything bigger than a 650.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, yup. Who can argue with that statement.

Welcome billy_biketo the forums

Old 01-09-2007, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Shawn first welcome to KF. I have three bikes, a 06 ZX6R, a 99 SV650, and a 1982 CB750F with a 1325 engine head work yada, yada in it. they are all fun to ride, and very good for their intended purposes. In my opinion you should buy based on what you want it to do. Just like the old men say "there's no replacement for displacement" bigger is usually faster. Smaller, and lighter is generally more nimble. I must admit, that I ride my 636 almost every day (every day it's not raining). Also keep in mind that a stock 600 is putting around 100 HP @ 350lbs to the pavement put that in perspective to your car that might put down 260 HP and weigh 4000lbs.