New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

looking for advice

Old 02-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Default looking for advice

Hello,
I was looking for a little advice. I don't have much money but am in desperate need of a new bike. As I try to save money, there are two bikes (actually 3) that are in my price range. The first is a klr650 (2011) with about 4500 miles. My concern here is how good is this bike for a road trip? I doubt I will ever go more than 500 miles one way, but is it truly capable? I read that it is but I-10 from New Mexico to Texas is an 80 mph speed limit. This is where I live and this is where I go. I work in the oil fields and am surrounded by dirt roads. This is why this bike interests me so much. Around town and for recreation it would be great. The other one is a 2003 Concours ( 1000cc) very fair price and about 15000 miles. This is the style of bike I have always loved and seems to be clean, but if the klr could make an occasional trip, I would rather get it. I am just looking for advice from yall being that I have not yet owned a kawasaki. Thanks for any input.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:13 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

An 80mph speed limit???? I need to head down that way for a cruise.

I have not ridden the KLR650 but if it was geared correctly, that may still be a long ride at 80mph with a small wind screen. But I would think that the occasional trip would be a nice ride even if you do a lot of pit stops and not maybe ride as fast with the appropriate rated tire rating.

Welcome to KF

Old 02-07-2012, 01:42 AM

Thank you. Yes sir, they raised it to a legal 80 a few years back in Texas. Many years ago I rode out of Texas thru Louisianna into Mississippi. I think it was 70 back then but traffic was going 90. Long and straight. The ideal situation would be the klr for around town and a second bike for trips, but my life is not ideal. I owned one cruiser and it wasn't my thing, and I have never owned a sportbike. This is why the 1000 concours interests me. I think I'm dual purpose or sport touring? I need to decide.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I would get the KLR since you got dirt roads. The roads wouldnt be good to a concours. I almost bout an new klr but wanted more offroad capability and lighter weight. The klr's are a proven animal. Bullet proof, havnt changed most of the bike for yrs minus the cosmetic upgrade in 08. They look WAY better now. Plus the Marines use them if that tells ya anything! Lots of aftermarket goodies for them. You can load the crap out of them with luggage and stuff for loooong camping trips. I've ridden many and they cruise the highway great. Might have to do some sprocket changes for 80mph for more comfortable speeds but it would do 80 no prob. You can find used ones at great prices. We just got in a new one that i havnt put together yet that is the new gray color and omg i want it! Dark gray matte with black plastics and black rims. Sexy! Looks like a black ops edition haha. Only one thing i dont like about them if you do alot of hardcore offroading is they are TANKS! I settled for a new leftover 2010 klx250s. I love it! Small like a motocrosser and can really get some good power out of them with upgrades. Great on and off road. Best bike i have ever owned and so much fun.

Last edited by BleednGreen68; 02-07-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:03 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I would have a tough time with a decision as well. If all it was for the occasional trip of maybe once/month, with the in town and exploring with some dirt mixed in almost everyday, then the klr would be a good choice.

I was after a Connie for awhile myself. Then I hooked up (all of a sudden) with a good 90's KZ1000 for $450 that makes me happy. But, that is great for street only as you well know and cannot corner worth a darn without "grindage". Where the Connie is a good sport tour ride.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Hey Kemoo. These guys make some good points^ (as usual.) My advice would be to go with the KLR, and get an extra set of wheels, so you could swap between "aggressive dual sport" and "street" tires (for the longer trips.) There's lotsa offroad down your direction; if you gotta get just one bike, I think the KLR would be the one.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums. For what you describe, I would go with the KLR 650.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 PM

Yep. You guys are right. I'm going to stop thinking and finish saving $$. I knew this was the bike for me, especially where I live. There's oil field roads everywhere and the Guadalupe Mountains are about 20 miles away. Good camping too. I just wondered if I would want something bigger, but if so I will get a second tourer. I bet most of you guys own multiple bikes? Thanks for all the advice. You have put my mind at ease. I should have the money by April.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

hope you have a good time on the klx there Kemoo. i'm sure you will enjoy it