New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Hi, new to the forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 11:52 PM
Default Hi, new to the forum.

Hi,
This is going to be my first time buying a bike and owning a bike. I've never ridden anything over 500cc before and since I have some money saved over I've actually went to a Kawasaki dealer near my house and started looking for one to own. I do have a couple of questions about buying a bike thought. It may sound a little stupid, so be easy on me. I can say that I really am only buying a Kawasaki because it looks damn good, I don't ride much, only maybe once every week or so. I thought that because of this I can buy something just base only on looks and not really performance, although lurking through this forum makes me think that the Ninja IS the one to get because it has comfort and performance.
Here is a couple of questions about buying the Kawasaki. I saw that there was 2 different Ninja's on sale there. One was the 05 6R and the other was the 05 6RR. I've asked the salesmen on what it meant and the only reply was the 6RR was meant for "racing", and it's because it's "600cc". That didn't make any sense to me, but then he starts to talking about the special APR and didn't stop. Can you guys tell me the real different in the two. I saw the sticker price on both and it was 8299.00 for the 6R and 8699.00 for the 6RR. The 6RR was actually on sale for 7268.00, which got me thinking a little bit, how come a bike that was worth more in the begginning on sale and the cheaper bike wasn't? Is the 6RR a worst bike or is it because the 6R was that much better? And those two prices, are they good prices for a Ninja? Also, I know of the of the Special APR at 4.9%, it sounded good but I read on the website that the APR would eventually balloon up to 17.9%. I've heard that APR for bikes are higher then cars but is this a good APR? Do you guys use the Kawasaki card for financing or do you go through a bank? Ok, last stupid question, forgive me. I saw a couple of different bikes on the showroom, a new GSX-R, new ZX6R, new R6 ect..... They all looked nice but I wanted to test drive one. Can you actually test drive a bike like a car? I mean, I didn't ask, but can you? I didn't see any that I can test ride, although I hope I could've, I would've known what the difference between a ZX6R and 6RR if I did though lol. Thanks in Advance guys, I really don't know anything about buying a bike and really wanted to know these answers. I apologize if any of these questions sounded dumber then what it really is.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:17 AM
Default RE: Hi, new to the forum.

he meant it was for racing because the 6rr is a true 600 cc which is the limit for ama 600cc racing. the 6r is a 636cc. which gives it more low end and mid range power better suited for street riding. the difference between the two is the engine and tranny. the 6rr has a closer ratio gear box for racing, a higher rpm redline, but it also has less hp than the 636. not much though. theyre both great bikes its just the 636 is more popular cause it has more power. they sell the 600 so they can compete in racing. which is why the 6rr is cheaper because its less popular. and not too many people buy it for the street. if you cant find a 636 for cheaper the 6rr might be a good choice and youll be one of the few around to have it since most would go for the 636. basicly the same bike jusT THE 6R (636) Has 37 more ccs. to put it in prospective like 15 members have 05 kawasaki 600s. only one of them has the 6rr not the 636. and hes said they pretty much keep up with eachother but obviously the 636 will creep away

Old 09-29-2005, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Nice reply bleedgreen. I think between the 2 bikes that are so close in HP it will come down to the rider in the end unless it’s just a straight wide open run.

As far as test ridding some dealers will let you but most will not. To easy for you to give them false ID and then just keep going.

APR be careful here if it is going to stay at 4.9 then it’s not bad, if it is going to go to 17.9 that is not good.

If I had to finance a bike I would be negotiating the best rate and not worry about the sticker price. I mean no use getting them to drop the price 500 bucks and then get raped on the finance charges later.

Good luck and hope your riding soon. Do not for get the gear either, you can add it in to the cost of the bike and finance it too.

Old 09-29-2005, 03:13 AM

Thanks for the fast reply guys. Can you tell me why a 6RR cost more then the 6R? Since it has less HP and displacement, does it have tighter suspension or better equipment? TIA!

Old 09-29-2005, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

the 6RR is use more race ready equipment. thats why it cost a little more. oh and welcome to the forum. send some pics when you get your bike...

Old 09-29-2005, 07:40 AM

For a grand less I'd go w/ the RR, very close power wise, i believe its a little ligher, more race ready, but also it only come's in green but i will admit the green has grown on me and since its the rr the whole bike is green and you don't have the black on bottom like we do.....but like i said at the begining id go w/ the rr since its cheaper, and your gettin the exact same bike and a little more...

Old 09-29-2005, 08:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I Think the RR loks sweet, but if your not going to race it at the track get the 636r it has more ***** for the road and youll want the extra power when u get to be a better rider.

As far as the APR going to 17.9%. Im not positive but it will balloon up to that if you dont pay on time. Or/and it will go up to that after like 12 or 24 months. You should just ask or go to kawa site and read the fine print on their financing options. Its just there financing deal.

Usually they would give u that 4.9% for like a year or two. Pay that **** off, or do this; a few mnths before the 4.9% apr ends, open up a credit card ( im assuming u work and get qualified) and get a 0% on balance transfers for like 9-12 mnths. then you dont have to pay ****, but i would still advise u to pay as much as you can every mnth, or the same thing will happen. It will balloon up to like 20% after the time period expires or if u make a late payment.

By the way if u finance you will need to get insurance on the bike. And to me that sux, another payment that isnt necessary or at least to me.

You could always search the net for a good credit card on APRs and get like a 12 mtnh 0% APR or maybe like a 3% APR. Then open up another one a few mnths before the time expires and get a balance transfer at like 0% for 12 mnths. If u do financing by credit card u dont have to get insurance.

hope that helps i have a few finance classes. OH GET THE 636, i would.

BY the way u dont always have to buy from dealer, check traderonline.com. Thats where i got mine and shes a beauty. BUt dealerships are slways nice cause u can get a warranty, and thats not bad..

Figure out whats best for u, peace.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:33 PM

Get insurance....if your bike gets stolen...its gone, and you have debt...if you have insurance (full coverage) then no bike but no debt....

Old 09-29-2005, 09:06 PM

Thanks guys on the info. Especially about the Card thing. I had no idea I can transfer the funds on a Kawasaki card. I think I'm going to go with a 600RR since it is a little cheaper but mostly (believe or not) because it's green lol. I'll make sure that I'll get at least thief coverage over the winter since my friends bike got stolen last winter while it was in the garage.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:09 PM

Oh, and about the test ride thing. If most dealers don't let the buyers test them out then how can you really know which bike is really the bike for you? I mean, you can test a 30-50K car without having proof of ID, but you can't test a bike? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Quick Reply: Hi, new to the forum.