New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Hail the noob

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Hail the noob

Hi.

Just joined the forum today after buying a 2007 KLX250S last Saturday.

I have about 8miles on it now :b and it seems like a fun little bike. I bought it to replace my KDX220 because I have too many 2Ts (My other dirt bike is a 98 YZ 250) and I wanted something I could ride to the trails I like to off road on and goof off with my friends who have lower displacement 4Ts.

I have looked through the forums and searched on some of the different items needed to breath a bit more power into the bike, but do have a couple questions if you don't mind answering them...

I'm looking at a four stroke works exhaust (header back, with the quiet tip) and a Uni Filter and DJ Jet kit currently.

I'm also looking to replace the stocker tires with a Pirelli Scoprion on the front and a MT21 out back (unsure what size I can get by with...they have 120/100 at rockymountainatv and I don't know if it'll fit...help?)

I have already come to the decision that the throw between 1st and 2nd is a bit long and not alltogether solid. I have been considering some way to upgrade the shifting to be a bit more positive, but could use some advice there. I think there's an upgraded shift star or something like that, but I would appreciate some feedback from people who have done the upgrade to see if they like it and if the upgrade process is relatively easy...

I went to KLXworld and took a look at the shared parts link and I noticed that the KLX300 shares it's shock spring with the YZ250. This intrigues me because I had my YZ suspension completely rebuilt, revalved, and resprung from MX-Tech so I have the stock YZ spring left over....I think it's a bit stiffer than the stock KLX one so I am wondering if it'd be worth it to swap them. I like the plushness of the suspension currently, but I am a little heavy for the stock spring...Is it a hard process to swap them?

Old 10-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums. I don't know all the answers to your questions, but give this a try before you spend too much money chasing ponies. Do a gear change to 13-45 and then ride for a week or two. Then if you want more, get the Jetting done along with the pipe of your choice. As far as tires go, I really am partial to the Dunlop 606. They will take you anywhere on the back roads and trails, and they never let me down on the blacktop. I am currently running Kenda K-270 tires, and they are wearing too slow. I have 2000 miles on them and they are still over 50% left. I know that sounds like a good thing, but I want more traction off road than I want wearability (not sure about that word ) on the streets. Good luck, and throw up a picture when you get a chance.

Oh and I moved this to the new members area so you wouldn't be missed. Again welcome.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF!

If you like the number on that rear spring, then just do it. 1/2hr job normally.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF ^_^