New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Electrical Issue PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 07:16 PM
Default Electrical Issue PLEASE HELP!

I have a KLX250 and I was out in the mountains the other day, and I noticed that the speedometer and digital display were flickering.....I figured it was just a loose wire and I would fix it when I got home.....Rode for about another 10-15 minutes and then the bike just died. The whole electrical system is dead. I have 12v at the battery......but everything else is dead...

1) I checked the negative ground cable and its securely connected to the engine
2) I checked the terminals on the battery and wiggled them, there is ZERO corrosion and they are nice and tight
3) I checked the fuses under the seat, the two for the fan and the ignition and the 20 amp main fuse.....all are good.
4) I checked the relay and there is 12v to it, but nothing coming out the other side....im not sure if thats normal....

I am really stumped here, Im not an electrical genius, but I know basics. I dont havethe money, time or a truck to take it to a shop.....

Can someone suggest some other things I can check?

Old 07-05-2019, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Power interuption.

Originally Posted by Dezil
I have a KLX250 and I was out in the mountains the other day, and I noticed that the speedometer and digital display were flickering.....I figured it was just a loose wire and I would fix it when I got home.....Rode for about another 10-15 minutes and then the bike just died. The whole electrical system is dead. I have 12v at the battery......but everything else is dead...

1) I checked the negative ground cable and its securely connected to the engine
2) I checked the terminals on the battery and wiggled them, there is ZERO corrosion and they are nice and tight
3) I checked the fuses under the seat, the two for the fan and the ignition and the 20 amp main fuse.....all are good.
4) I checked the relay and there is 12v to it, but nothing coming out the other side....im not sure if thats normal....

I am really stumped here, Im not an electrical genius, but I know basics. I dont havethe money, time or a truck to take it to a shop.....

Can someone suggest some other things I can check?
Perhaps checking the power interrupters like, kick stand switch, power kill switch on the throttle mount.

I'm curious with "the relay with 12v to it but nothing coming out". Do you mean "12v to it" when you turn the key on then it clicks? If so then it could be it's just getting voltage to it's coil but the contacts/switch part of it has no voltage through it. Or if you mean 12v is on one side of the contacts/switch part but not on the other side with the relay energized then you may have found the problem.