New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

brand new motorcyclist-might purchase this ninja, what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default brand new motorcyclist-might purchase this ninja, what do you guys think?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/1085620000.html

I am going to take a look at that ninja tomorrow night. 11k miles and its a 2000 zx-6r j1. Not sure what the J1 means. Anyway, does it look like a good deal or is that too much for this bike?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for posting that, now I'm gonna buy it...........Just kiding man! I have way too many bikes already! looks like a good buy so you better jump on it, but check it out really good before making the final deal! Being one owner, as long as he didn't wreck it, it is probably a sound bike.
Oh yeah, welcome to KF dude!

Old 03-26-2009, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm totally nervous! I am taking out a loan to buy this bike. I have never ridden before and I have a friend (triumph 995i rider) who is going to teach me to ride. I hope I am making the right choice as far as a bike. I have been wanting to ride since about 2000 and never had the money. I now have a good job and can justify a 3800 bike. Definitely nervous.

THANKS FOR THE INPUT!

Old 03-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Default don't do it

My Brother - please, please think hard about buying a ZX-6 as a first bike. Especially if you are just learning to ride. This is a killer bike and I mean that more ways than one. I have been riding for a year and have been doing a ton of research on first bike purchases. I ended up buying an 07 Ninja 250 and it has been a ball. I took the MSF first and then purchased the bike. I recommend you do the same. If you think the 250 is only for women and the first time buyer I emplore you to check out www.ninja250.org. You would be surprized a what a 250 can do.

A ZX-6 should be purchased by an experienced rider, which you are not. Look into 250s and 500s first. The more I rode the more I realized I had a lot to learn and my 250 has been very forgiving to newbie mistakes. A ZX-6 will not be so forgiving.

I work at ORD and would be happy to show you my bike. I am a brother of the badge as well.

Write back if you are interested. Be safe.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

There's nothing wrong with getting a 600 as a first bike, provided you have a good enough head on your shoulders to keep your wrist out of the throttle. Yes, if you screw up, they will bite a lot harder than a 250 will. They are also a lot more fun. Learning to ride on a 250 would be a better option. However, that doesn't mean that we you can't learn on one. I have a 2008 ZZR600, which is the exact same bike. As you can see by the pictures, that's not really designed to be a beginner bike, and it has a lot of power for a new rider to handle.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member

take the msf course. its really good

Old 03-27-2009, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I am going to take the course in May when I get my vacation from work. Untill then I'll probably just ride up and down my block getting use to the controls

Old 03-27-2009, 01:30 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF firstly
Since everyone is different, it is hard to say yes get that ride or the other. Use your brain and abilities. Good luck

Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 AM
1st Gear Member

If you buy a 600 SS as your first bike you will, with a little luck, learn to survive on it. What you won't do is learn to ride it properly.

For that, you need a 250 that makes you use all the power band as you gain skill and confidence. Then you have a full set of skills that transfer to a faster bike. If you try to explore the potential of a 600 without first having this skill set you'll die. If you don't start to explore its full potential, you'll never develop the full skill set.

Simple really.

Rob

Old 03-27-2009, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

soooo, it sounds like I should not be getting this bike. Maybe I will explore my options and look for a 250.

Quick Reply: brand new motorcyclist-might purchase this ninja, what do you guys think?