You'd be a hero if........

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 03:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default You'd be a hero if........

............You converted a Dirt Bike into a street legal bike that got over 70 MPG. Think about it, We all say the KLX is underpowered but it is quiet, efficient, reliable, durable, Handsome, and very fuel efficient. I guess I'm just thinkin' out loud here but the KLX Is truly an engineering work of art in my opinion. Even some of the best dirt to street conversions I've seen have been **** poor compared to the KLX. They also won't let you near the forest on a converted dirt bike for fear that you'd burn it down. The '09 KLX even meets California standards. With the price of fuel skyrocketing, I'm surprised I don't see 100 times more Thumpers on the streets. Instead, I see Soccer moms barreling down on me in Giant SUV's getting 12 MPG. And no, they are not full of kids. These people seem to always be alone. Sorry for the rant but I just thought I'd get another crazy discussion going.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

You're preaching to the choir man!!!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gerrynolan
............You converted a Dirt Bike into a street legal bike that got over 70 MPG. Even some of the best dirt to street conversions I've seen have been **** poor compared to the KLX.

Some of us didn't buy the klx because of MPG. I bought mine because it had a plate. I would take a wr, crf-x, ktm or any other true offroad bike if it had a plate over the klx any day. I said it in another post as well, but if your getting anywhere near to 70mpg offroad you need to step it up a little.

Yes the klx does well at a lot of things, but being perfect is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

give me a break; so if a person is getting good mileage, they're riding like a wuss? that's ignorant to say.
the other bikes you list are nice, but are maintenance intense and will not last anywhere close to how long the KLX will.
no one claimed the KLX does everything perfect, just that it is a jack of all trades. that's the thread starter's whole thesis.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
give me a break; so if a person is getting good mileage, they're riding like a wuss? that's ignorant to say.
You would know.

But yes that statement is correct, nuthin wrong with it, but true.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Probably helps to be only 160 Lbs. But I do mostly street too. I admit I ride the KLX real easy but not out of fear. Just like to baby my stuff so it lasts forever.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Nuthin wrong with that Gerry, the klx is a lil dual sport that is going to get a lot of different riders with different interests. Some use the bike as a commuter, some almost off-road only, some as a typical dual sport, some sm the bastig....while others do long distance adv rides on her with luggage.

Obviously, me running in sugar sand trails wot is going to get way different mileage than using her as a commuter, to each their own. Iowa will never understand that. I'm impressed you can actually squeeze 70 mpg out of her.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

The answer to the orignal topic, YES, its has been done. With the gas prices on the soar, I've seen a lot more dualsports on the road lately and more of the bigger motorcycles as well. I remeber one where the guy was kick starting his. And there is 09 red and green KLX somewhere in my area that I have never seen before.

I didn't buy the KLX for gas mileage reasons, thou that is a benefit. I bought mine mainly so I could drive to the trails (legally) and then go trail bashing, and come home on the all on the same ride. But also as an alternate comuter as well.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Nuthin wrong with that Gerry, the klx is a lil dual sport that is going to get a lot of different riders with different interests. Some use the bike as a commuter, some almost off-road only, some as a typical dual sport, some sm the bastig....while others do long distance adv rides on her with luggage.

Obviously, me running in sugar sand trails wot is going to get way different mileage than using her as a commuter, to each their own. Iowa will never understand that. I'm impressed you can actually squeeze 70 mpg out of her.
Thanks FM, I actually put a gallon in each time my trip odometer hits 73 miles & it just fills it. Now if my speedo/odo is off like they all seem to be, it may not be exactly 70 Mpg but it's gotta be darn close.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Riding around 2 up earlier this year (before trading it in) my KLX (06 with 8000 miles) returned 72 mpg when riding backroads at 60mph and under. The 2 of us together are ~300lbs give or take a few depending on what gear we bring/wear. Its not impossible for it to get outstanding mileage. At the time mine had the KLX300 oem open pipe and been rejetted to suit with a 125 main. Riding solo with street tires it would get 56-62mpg since I typically pushed it a bit harder than when my girlfriend was with me.