Yay new tires :) Kenda Trakmasters

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I replaced my rear tm the other day. It had about 1200 miles on it and was starting to chunk rubber off the *****. I think the asphalt riding must make the rubber harder. Replaced it with another tm, because they work well off road.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang
I've had a couple of Trakmaster rears and I'm still running a Trakmaster front. Just to try something different, I put on a Pirelli Scorpion XCMH in the rear this year. If your riding involves lots of rocks and hardpack or even pavement, the XCMH is a great tire. If there's even a hint of mud or slimy clay though, you're better off just stopping and throwing the bike to the ground - you'll end up there anyway! I know it's a medium/hard terrain tire, but my riding includes both rocks and mud. It was twice the price of a Trakmaster, lasted the same, and sucks in the mud. I'm going back to a Trakmaster rear. As for the Trakmaster front, I really have no complaints, but then again, I have nothing else to compare it to besides the stocker.

Kenda Trakmaster on the left, Pirelli Scorpion XCMH on the right. Both are 110/100-18.
I'm currently running the XCMH 110 and love it. Most of my riding is rocky terrain but even with the small mud patches I come across the tire performs well simply for the fact that the tire doesn't accumulate mud. I absolutely love this tire.

I would try a D606 if it came in a 110 size.

M

Old 08-21-2009, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
So my choice for tires would be:

Rear: D-606 forever
Front: Up for suggestions.
Try a Dunlop D908F. Tried one, liked it, will get one when the D603 runs through.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KDXmike
I'm currently running the XCMH 110 and love it. Most of my riding is rocky terrain but even with the small mud patches I come across the tire performs well simply for the fact that the tire doesn't accumulate mud. I absolutely love this tire.

I would try a D606 if it came in a 110 size.

M
90% of the time, I'd agree with you. Like I said, the XCMH is a great hard-pack tire and actually does quite well on the pavement. But several times now I've had to abort on muddy hills and slimy rocks because the tire just spun, even running 14psi. Places where my buddy on a WR426 and a rear Trakmaster just motored right over. If I rode in the desert, the XCMH would do just fine.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Up in the ANF mustang? im excited to go in sept !!!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I'm excited too! I had a blast last year.

Not so much the ANF, but other places, like Majestic Trails in Bradford, PA. All the trails there are on packed shale. It rained one of the days we went, and the shale mixed with clay to make it slicker than snot. The trails at Majestic are like those at the ANF, but much, much steeper and with more mud. Most of the time when I'd spin out, I'd just turn around and try it again until I made it. One hill was steep with no run-up, and so slick that nothing I did would get be past half-way up. After several attempts, we just lugged it the rest of the way up, a foot at a time. What a PITA!

Old 08-23-2009, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default kenda/washougal

i just mounted these babys dropped down a tooth and rejetted the carb. i'll never go back. full on dirt ***** is the way to go if you spend any time in the woods

Old 08-23-2009, 02:38 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

If looking to try an excellent front tire, take a look at the Pirelli Scorpion Pro. That's it on the left:

Old 08-23-2009, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Some of my friends are running Scorp Pro fronts. They all say they like them, but one problem they all seem to have is that the extreme side ***** tear and chunk in the rocks.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang
Some of my friends are running Scorp Pro fronts. They all say they like them, but one problem they all seem to have is that the extreme side ***** tear and chunk in the rocks.
Yeah, but that just means they stick well. They won't tear and chunk if they are slipping and sliding instead of grabbing and holding. Hard, long-wearing tires suck for the dirt and rock, actually. You can't really have both - either they are soft, hook up well, and wear fast, or they are hard, wear a very long time, don't stick, and hook up like crap. It's a combination of good tread and soft rubber that makes for the best traction. Within reason, of course, and keeping in mind the terrain. It's always a balance depending on the surface.

I'm getting ready to replace mine, it's been on for almost a year, and it does have some chunking, but I've raced the last two hare scrambles on it like that and it's still been great. I put it on last year before heading to Hatfield McCoy for the weekend, and I think I'll freshen it up with another one before my next trip up that way in mid September.

Rear tires always wear faster, though. I've gone through quite a few more rear tires in that same amount of time.

Quick Reply: Yay new tires :) Kenda Trakmasters