Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Yay new tires :) Kenda Trakmasters (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/yay-new-tires-kenda-trakmasters-29895/)

CousinLarry 08-20-2009 03:14 AM

Yay new tires :) Kenda Trakmasters

My second time with these. They seem to work really well for the terrain up here in the NE :)

I'm kinda happy about the deal I got too from a new local shop - $105 out the door AND mounted on my rims :D

Went for a ride today to break them in. Went to the local forest - I forgot how big of a difference new tires make.

Good stuff.

They replaced some 606's that I will never get again. Well, maybe the rears if they were dirt cheap, but definitely not the fronts.

werrrrrrd. :cool:

deej 08-20-2009 05:16 AM

Wow really? You hate the 606 that much? I will never run anything ever again except the 606. To each his own I guess. ;)

WestOzKLX 08-20-2009 05:46 AM

I love the rear 606, needs the 13/45 gear though due to its extra size.:D
I've read the numerous reports about the 606 front, below average opinions is the consensus. I'll be fitting a D908F when the stock D603 wears through.

CousinLarry 08-20-2009 12:18 PM

Yeah, the rear wasn't too bad, but the front was just scary in anything other than dry soft dirt.

Deej - maybe you have different terrain up there, or maybe you ride like a sane person... Because that front 606 (IMO) is NOT a good tire :)

The back too - it's OK, but again, anything muddy or sandy and you got no traction.

KDXmike 08-20-2009 12:46 PM

You'll like the TM's. I have one on my KDX and it hooks up nicely.

M

EMS_0525 08-20-2009 01:37 PM

Everyone in my group doesnt like the front 606 except for big dual sports, xr650/ ktm950.... decent road manners, but not good for small ds's... track master rear is great, i dont think ill get the front, dont like the knob pattern, i have a bridgestone gritty ed on now, i love it, it hooks up so much better than the 606 front i had... no more washing out....

mustang 08-20-2009 07:47 PM

I've had a couple of Trakmaster rears and I'm still running a Trakmaster front. Just to try something different, I put on a Pirelli Scorpion XCMH in the rear this year. If your riding involves lots of rocks and hardpack or even pavement, the XCMH is a great tire. If there's even a hint of mud or slimy clay though, you're better off just stopping and throwing the bike to the ground - you'll end up there anyway! I know it's a medium/hard terrain tire, but my riding includes both rocks and mud. It was twice the price of a Trakmaster, lasted the same, and sucks in the mud. I'm going back to a Trakmaster rear. As for the Trakmaster front, I really have no complaints, but then again, I have nothing else to compare it to besides the stocker.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u.../ScorpvsTK.jpg
Kenda Trakmaster on the left, Pirelli Scorpion XCMH on the right. Both are 110/100-18.

deej 08-20-2009 07:56 PM

So you are talking about the front tire mostly. I had the original 603 tire for about 5000 miles on the front, and it was ok, but then I went to the Kenda K270, and trust me the 603 was better. I will let the Kenda wear out first before I buy another tire for the front. So my choice for tires would be:

Rear: D-606 forever
Front: Up for suggestions. ;)

Fourty2ri 08-20-2009 08:10 PM

I just ordered a new 606 for the rear, I think my last one I had did real well based on my riding.
Also got a new K-760 Trakmaster II for the front. Cant wait to put them on before we got to Maine for a riding weekend

punkenduro09 08-20-2009 09:18 PM

606 front: pritty ok, does decent on dirt, great on the road. i switched for more bite in the dirt and it seamed the tire was cupping, switched to the 908, still does both so i have to say the front is a good average.

606 rear (on the bike): best rear ive used (only want to try the mt21 now, just to say i did). last long (2500-3500 miles), good traction most of the time (large lugs can suck sometimes, but rairly), and i havent gotten a rear flat yet.

trackmaster rear: i would call this a "trip" tire, sence its only good for one multiday trip. used it on a 1000 mile trip in april, and it was GONE by the time i got home. dont get me wrong, it did bite a bit better than the 606, it had as much grip as the 606 on the street/twistys, but only 1500 before i changed it out. i dont like changing the tires that much. if you only ride dirt or very light street, tires for you, but if you commute at all, 606 hands down.

908ff (aka dunlop ralley raid, on the bike): ive use this tire for about 1500-2000 miles, and i really dont know what to say. ive gotten 2 flats with it (tore at the stim, dont think the tire did anything), but i rode home with them cus the side wall is so damn stiff (one i didnt notice till i got home, one i noticed when resting, rode home 2 miles dirt, 5 miles pavement, only off the rim in one small spot). tire tire kinda cups, but you can rotate it and its fine. it does above average in the dirt, and same with the street (so far, when it rains ill revise this).

stock 605 f&r: suck.

ive used all the tires once, outside of the 606 rear which im on my 3rd. i want to try the mt21, but only to try riding a 110 again, but im pritty sure i like the 120 the best.