Wrong choice on jet kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Wrong choice on jet kit?

I have some questions on my jet kit purchase.

First, here is a little history on my bike:
It was sold to me at the dealership as new but it is actually an '07. I have had it since march. It had 190 miles on it when I bought it and now has 1000 miles on it. It was one of those "safety riding class" bikes. So I don't think it ever got out of second gear or over 20 miles an hour. It even had a lowering kit on it when I got it, but that is long gone now.

Anyways, I bought a DJ jet kit 2206, kouba t-handle fuel screw, mega bomb header, Q4 muffler, and the kdx200 snorkel. Along with a KandN filter that I have already installed.

Now that I have all the parts, I am going to install them all this weekend. After doing some final readings here on the forum, I am starting to second guess my DJ 2206 kit.

- Will drilling the slide hole out have any adverse effects ?

- Is the 2152 kit any better? or should I have gone that route? It looks like only the needle and spring are different between the two kits.

- A couple of posts have come out that said after they installed the 2206, it ran really rich, is this going to be a problem? I am at 3300' elevation here in Montana, should I go with the 120 main? or the 124 main?

Thanks

Old 08-04-2010, 03:18 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I don't think I've heard a definitive reason why DJ developed the second kit...the spring vs. slide drilling...but apparently they will both work just fine on any '06-'10 KLX, because I've seen many people here on this forum use either over time. I'm not up on all the DJ numbers at this point in time, but is your kit the 300 kit? The engine and carb is pretty darned close to being identical on all models, and at least close enough for all KLX kits to work when installed and jetted properly.

The slide drilling to allow a stronger, quicker slide response works great, and apparently the softer spring design in the other kit works fine too. I'm also not up on all the "stage" issues that DJ lists, but it mainly revolves around whether you have an aftermarket pipe and intake mods. The stage II goes with a pipe and intake mod setup, so that's what you should use in your case. From everything I've seen, the stage I is pretty much for slight improvement with most stock components in place.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I have had no problems with the DJ kit on my 06, drilling and all. I was very pleased with the results.

I'm pretty sure I used a 124 main, i'm the same elevation as you in Calgary (did many rides around whitefish montana at the same elevation as well, even higher up the mountain)

I wrote it down on my wall, I'll double check my settings.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stellar_d
I have had no problems with the DJ kit on my 06, drilling and all. I was very pleased with the results.

I'm pretty sure I used a 124 main, i'm the same elevation as you in Calgary (did many rides around whitefish montana at the same elevation as well, even higher up the mountain)

I wrote it down on my wall, I'll double check my settings.
Thanks stellar_d and TNC, thats what I wanted to hear.

I think I just over think things sometimes and get worried I might do something wrong. I think I will try a 124 jet first. Can't wait until this weekend, will post up on how all my mods work.

Never been up to whitefish on my bike, I am down by Missoula.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigSky KLX
Thanks stellar_d and TNC, thats what I wanted to hear.

I think I just over think things sometimes and get worried I might do something wrong. I think I will try a 124 jet first. Can't wait until this weekend, will post up on how all my mods work.

Never been up to whitefish on my bike, I am down by Missoula.
I like Missoula because my wife buys Victorias Secret there . Whitefish is great you can take your bike through the national forest there and ride up around Big Mountain.

#124 main and 3rd clip on the needle. 2 full turns out on the kouba screw. That's how mine was setup and it ran like a champ.

Last edited by stellar_d; 08-07-2010 at 04:53 AM.