WR250R vs. KLX250S HP and Torque Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Default WR250R vs. KLX250S HP and Torque Comparison

FYI the following are the FACTORY HP and Torqueratings for these two bikes.

2008 FI WR250R-STOCK KLX250S STOCK

HP 30.7 22.0Dyno 18.3 HP- rear wheel
Torque(ft. lbs) 17.48 14.5(Estimate) Dyno 13 ft. lbs.

Based on the foregoing (using a conservative 20% reduction for HP and 12 % for torgue) that would make the WR20R make approximately 24.56 RWHP and 15.38 ft. lbs of torque.

As you might guess I am struggling even more with buying the KLX and having to spend approx. $1500 to get anywhere near the WR250R performance figures. Comments welcome

PS - The dyno figures were obtained from the HMF dyno test

Old 01-05-2008, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: WR250R vs. KLX250S HP and Torque Comparison

Hey, Bob,
The video of the WR in action was pretty impressive for sure. The bottom line is, what is it that makes you happy. A test ride on the WR would be the best way to makethe rightchoice for you. Clearly, having a good, multi-purpose bike is the most important part of this whole equation. To get there, for some, spending the extra money to personalize a KLX or any other, lower priced machine has value because it's fun to have a part in making the bike the way you want it to be. For others, spending the money up front and simply climbing aboard and hitting the trails is where the fun is. If I remember correctly, the WR makes its power very high in the rev range. For general riding, cow trailing, even moderate woods work, the low end muscle is better, even if that bike won't win an all out drag race. I like the modded KLX, but I tend to keep my bikes a long time. Being competitive with the latest, greatest, is very expensive. I don't see that as what we're doing with the KLX. We're having fun, running what we brung.

Good luck choosing. Keep us posted.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma
KLX 331
FXDX
Misc. others...

Old 01-05-2008, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't think to many of us can even think about riding our KLX or any other bike like that[]I think you can spend less that $1000 on the KLX and it will do whatever you need to do on a trail & Street bike .....I spent more on mine with stuff that was not needed to make more power just cool stuff I wanted.... I think with a good pipe and carb jetting and gearing changes for the kind of riding you do the KLX for the money is a very good bike....IMO...I have rode drag bikes with 300 hp and the KLX has what 18 or 20 well I think its fine..... The cylinder head on my drag bike costs more than the KLX but I have more fun on the KLX .... I feel if you want a bike with power just buy a bigger bike or a KTM or similar then you have all you can handle I always say if its big power you want you better have a big budget LOL

Old 01-05-2008, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

One thing to remember is that factory posted hp. and torque numbers are not always accurate. I would wait until a mag gets there hands on one and straps it to a dyno for some numbers. You can also get a 331 or 340 kit from bill blue a mikuni pumper carb and exhaust system for about the same price as the difference you will pay for the wr.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Bill, I like the way you wrote that. When I buy something that I really like and grow to love even more in short order, I never get rid of it. I know I have said this before, and its not because I don't like change or am too cheap, but I plan on keeping the KLX until I'm 100. I don't ever buy something thinking well if I don't like it I can always sell it, I am a "in for the long haul" kind of guy. And really for about $500.00 in mods, pipe jetting and a simple set of gears, its all the bike I will ever need. Same thing with the wife's Yamaha XT 225, we will have these bikes until they wheel us into the convalescent home.......seriously[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=massbounce.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=happy046.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]

Old 01-05-2008, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member

+ 1 to what Bad Bear wrote too.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Bottom line, get whatYOU think will makeYOU happy. so you don't think I shudda.

sounds to me you wany more power out of the box. (but then you know that!).

you will be happier getting what you want, not what somebody else thinks.

Good luck

Old 01-05-2008, 05:47 PM

Shadtree: I couldn't agree with you more on all of the points you raised. Don't get me wrong I am a BIG FAN of the KLX - but I am alsomechanically challenged so I would have to have someone else to do all, or most all ,of the mods except perhaps the exhaust system. Believe me when I say I definitely have not ruled out the KLX - especially since in stock form it may get the job donebased on how I intend to use it. I will say one of my biggest concerns with both bikes is the low end torque, and at what RPM it is made, as I intend to do a great deal of Slooooooow riding at my age. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes slow riding was the reason I went with the 13-45 gears, no regrets there. Plenty of low end power for us older guys.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:47 PM
IG

just fyi- there is no way the new WR makes anywhere close to 30 rwhp. that's nearly where the real Yamaha WRF enduro ends up on horsepower and the two engines aren't even close to similar. I would say 20 rwhp on the WR would be more in the ballpark. A KLX can be modded and tuned to make more power for a ton of money less than the WR which is a grand more to begin with. But like someone else said, get what you want. And yeah, I'll go on record with this post.

Quick Reply: WR250R vs. KLX250S HP and Torque Comparison