Winter Madness Begins!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Winter Madness Begins!

292ccWiseco forged pistoninstalled in newly acquired KLX300 cylinder.I ordered the piston from a stateside outfit...it's lighter than the stock unit.

Nassert T-1 high performance camshafts mounted to the OEM spockets.C-ya KACR!

I don't know how some of you have the patience to stop at every step and take pictures. Seems like I'm always trying to cram a bunch of work into a small time slot. I planto havethe engine back together by Sunday but that'll have to do it for now.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Winter Madness Begins!

ORIGINAL: tremor38

292ccWiseco forged pistoninstalled in newly acquired KLX300 cylinder.I ordered the piston from a stateside outfit...it's lighter than the stock unit.

Yep, I found the same thing....figured no one would believe me because it is a larger piston. The cylinder is lighter too. More power & less weight

Old 11-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Sweet!!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Tremor,

I'm curious about how the starter works without the compression release. It's a little less stuff to spin with the cams once it's running, so that can't be bad. Let us know how that works out. Will you have access to a dyno once you're done? It'd be good to see how much improvement you get. Good luck!

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 11-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

others have put on yoshimura cams and lost the ACR too.... no effects at all...

Old 11-09-2007, 01:14 PM

so why no big bore kit? seems like a waste to me just to go up to 292cc when the option exists. I mean it will be a bit better but why not have the whole she-bang?

Old 11-09-2007, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member

That was also a concern I had, so I made a point of listening to the another KLX withthese same Nassertcams crank overbefore taking the plunge.Theres is no noticeable difference from stock.These cams havequite a bit moreexh/int overlap than the stockers, so there is no need for a compression release.They are designedto help straighten out that earlier rounding of the hp curvewhen you go up indisplacement.

The Yoshimura cams have abit of a labored sound when startingbecause their power band is a bit lower than that of the Nassert cams (they create more compression at lower RPM). However, they are still better than that of thestockers with ACR removed. Now THAT's labored

I will do my best to find a dyno once the snow melts. The one I had been using finally broke and I'm so far out in the sticks that it might be a challenge to find one within a reasonable distance.

ORIGINAL: Shadetree

Tremor,

I'm curious about how the starter works without the compression release. It's a little less stuff to spin with the cams once it's running, so that can't be bad. Let us know how that works out. Will you have access to a dyno once you're done? It'd be good to see how much improvement you get. Good luck!

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 11-09-2007, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

For myself and the guys I run with, maintaining a fairly linear power curve is near and dear to us, because we do a lot of thrashing around on the slab up in the twisties. It's hard to describe, but as you go up in displacement -especially on this bike- the HP curve starts rounding-off at an earlier(lower)RPM. It's most noticable between 300 and 350cc and starts to happen around 8300-8500RPM. It's a much more pronounceddrop-off when compared to the 249cc. Going-up indisplacement will always give you more low-end grunt, and more power, but the power peakhappens at a lower RPM and tapers-off quicker than the 249....that's really not what us motard slabbers are after.

Anyway, if you do most of your riding off rode and in amore technical single track type of environment, maybewhere the peak happens isn't as important. The low-end grunt and short shifting might even be better for that.

All I know isI had the chance to check outabike set-up almost exactly like the mods I'm getting now and I think...no, I know that I will be very satisfied. And maybe save some gas while I'm at it[8D]

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy.

so why no big bore kit? seems like a waste to me just to go up to 292cc when the option exists. I mean it will be a bit better but why not have the whole she-bang?

Old 11-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Tremor, what made you buy the Wiseco piston? Was it cheaper? I have been told by guys that race that the Wiseco piston is not a good replacement. I bought one 20 years ago for my Suzuki 250R Quadracer and it performed flawlessly. I'm not sure why Wiseco is being dismissed as inferior. Your thoughts? Have you heard anything?

Old 11-09-2007, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member

The Weisco is cheaper--whole kit with rings, clips, & pin for $90 + about $5 shipping when I bought.

Weiscos are forged not cast so they are stronger but also expand more so they sometimes require more tolerance.

Quick Reply: Winter Madness Begins!