wider foot pegs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member

After pressing the "buy it now" button for IMS pegs, then having buyers remorse for spending so much more than the cheap China-made ones, found two different posts where the cheap ones busted and badly ripped up legs. Remorse went away. I gotta say the IMS pros grip the heck out of the boots, but they could also rip a chunk out of my leg...they are sharp. Every time, they remind me to not ride barefooted...or even in flip-flops! Guess my leg could get chewed up either way.

More to the story - bought them from fleabay advertised and priced at the lower super stock model price, but the Pro model arrived at my door. Didn't complain

Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
...found two different posts where the cheap ones busted and badly ripped up legs.
Yikes!

I considered those chinaman foot pegs too but decided to pass on them. I often think while riding extended periods standing up that if one of the pegs would now fail (or the pin for that matter) I'd go flying in a very spectacular and a painful way.
A failure of many parts is just an inconvenience, failure of a foot peg (while sanding) would almost certainly hurt.

The sharp teeth on the IMS Super Pro looked like they would chew up the riding boots pretty good so I decided to go with the "milder" IMS pegs.
I found a pair of them in Ebay for $50 and thought the price is right -> Buy Now.

--
Mikko

Old 04-05-2011, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I've got the IMS as well. I like the way is spreads the load out on my feet when wearing street boots... with MX boots I don't notice any real difference.

They are beefy, and I can't imagine them ever breaking! They have very aggressive teeth, and when I installed them, I was nervous about them chewing my leg off...

Old 04-05-2011, 12:17 PM
1st Gear Member

The sue-happy environment on the U.S. can be somewhat to blame for safer, better-built pegs. I doubt IMS would be in business long if the pegs broke in even small percentages.
Does anyone find they bend the footpeg to frame mounting brackets after some hard rides or a season?

Old 04-05-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
They don't make it easy, the part number doesn't show until the item is in your cart. What is the letter after -522 of the ones you got? Do your feet sit higher, the same, or lower than with the stock pegs? thanks
Howdy,

The DRC footpegs are at the same height as stock. I ordered mine by calling them up, but if you order them online get the ones for KDX250/KDX300.

The DRC footpegs have a triangular brace that would make them far stronger than the Chinese ones and are made of chrome moly steel rather than mild steel.

Brendan

Old 04-06-2011, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

For those that have reserves, had the "china pegs" for over 2000 miles now and really hammered them. True. Gave them a good wallop with a hammer before they were installed just to make sure they weren't brittle. Tough as....!

The quality of the sand cast material is IMHO well up there although the finish is a little rough. (see mod before fitting>>>>https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ot-pegs-33638/)

For under AU $20 delivered I can say they are an absolute bargain. That's not to say I don't support my home market. I'm rocking brander parts from B&B Offroad (AUS) and Barkbusters (AUS) as well as Renthal (UK,) Talon (UK,) and I've even given some $ to the small guy, thanks again KoubaLink.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

One of the main problems, IMHO with chinaman knock-off products is that the quality control is non existent.

Sometimes you get good stuff, next one might be total junk. They just do not care.

Look at the tools from Harborfreight. Lot of them have a "lifetime warranty" but still they are of the worst possible quality. You get a good sample, great.
If you get a one that's basically scrap metal, you take it back and they give you a new one. They don't care, it's cheap.

--
Mikko

Last edited by FlyingFinn; 04-06-2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
One of the main problems, IMHO with chinaman knock-off products is that the quality control is non existent.

Sometimes you get good stuff, next one might be total junk. They just do not care.

Look at the tools from Harborfreight. Lot of them have a "lifetime warranty" but still they are of the worst possible quality. You get a good sample, great.
If you get a one that basically scrap metal, you take it back and they give you a new one. They don't care, it's cheap.

--
Mikko
This is exactly the problem. Also if another company makes them cheaper, thats what you get...unfortunately, they don't care how well they hold up and the product quality can turn into a crapshoot.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

A wise friend once told me: "when it's important, buy the best and cry only once."

Old 04-06-2011, 04:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Guess we all should have sprung for the KTM's. They come with great footpegs.

Quick Reply: wider foot pegs?