Why is a stock kx250 so much more powerful than our klx250s or even 350s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:33 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by akarob
That's a damn shame. I'm going to have to get me one of these KTMs one of these days. Electric start too. Add a street registration and some supermoto wheels.

I'm right with you man. I will have a 2 stroke KTM, Hussaberg, or a Husqvarna.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

With all this mooning for smokers, as a new project..... Would it be possible to take a 4S bottom end and convert it to a 2c? Then they could live forever. You would just need a cylinder/piston/head & somehow get the carb into the crank area.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

If it could be done... I think it would have by now, I agree with your thoughts though, I just don't know how it could be done.... however I'm ready to see the first Direct Injection bikes, this is were the real power and fuel efficiency is hiding :-D

Old 10-23-2011, 02:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LikesToThump
If it could be done... I think it would have by now, I agree with your thoughts though, I just don't know how it could be done.... however I'm ready to see the first Direct Injection bikes, this is were the real power and fuel efficiency is hiding :-D
Agreed. These TBI systems in use now are a joke.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member

turn a 4 stroke motor into a 2 stroke? No you can't the designs are too different.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:32 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

We put a man on the moon back in the good old days when man was focused more on noble and worthy pursuits, so there's probably not much in the mechanical sense that can't be accomplished in a no-holds-barred effort. However, the effort to turn a KLX motor into a 2-stroke would be nothing short of absurdity...and that shouldn't be taken as a personal attack on anyone here. The crankcase and induction dynamics of a 2-stroke are wildly different from a 4-stroke, so you'd have to perform some impressive crankcase modifications to a 4-stroke engine to make the transition. Then there's the issue of modding the cylinder and head to somehow function as a 2-stroke design. The water jacket issue would be very interesting too. So you'd end up with a 2-stroke engine that weighs way more than it needs to be compared to a designed-from-the-ground-up 2-stroke. The challenges would be monumental. Buying a brand new electric start KTM 300 2-stroke would be tons cheaper and easier...LOL!

Old 10-24-2011, 03:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
With all this mooning for smokers, as a new project..... Would it be possible to take a 4S bottom end and convert it to a 2c? Then they could live forever. You would just need a cylinder/piston/head & somehow get the carb into the crank area.
It CAN NOT be done. To start with, 2 strokes don't have crankcase oil. If you choose to do some research on how the two engines are fundamentally different, you'll see why. I'm not going to go into it though, it just ain't gonna happen.

For what it's worth, a 2 stroke is a lot easier to rebuild. Replacing an occasional set of rings is not a big deal, as opposed to a 4 stroke.

Last edited by akarob; 10-24-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

"...extremely reliable and long lasting at the same time."

Hahahahaha!

Doesn't sound like any Too Smoke I've ever owned or known, inc my 2 stroke boat engines..

KTM and similar 2 strokes don't require major service or rebuilds based on how many thousands of kilometers or miles, but on how many hours of riding. That, right there, should tell you something.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Without reading the thread, just the title-- I'd say:

13.5:1 compression ratio and the ability to carry the power to 14K rpm for starters.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member

My comment was a 'joke'.

Quick Reply: Why is a stock kx250 so much more powerful than our klx250s or even 350s?