Why is a stock kx250 so much more powerful than our klx250s or even 350s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Might be low on the power estimate, I had new 1983 Honda CR125 that stock was about 30Hp and 15Tq. It also was 170lbs. dry. Wish I'd have kept that one.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
Might be low on the power estimate, I had new 1983 Honda CR125 that stock was about 30Hp and 15Tq. It also was 170lbs. dry. Wish I'd have kept that one.

Maybe 30 at the crank.

KDX200 two smokers put around 30 to the wheel. Tuned can get you into the low 40's but reliabilty starts to suffer.

Last edited by wildcard; 10-20-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
I know how you feel and I wish I would have kept my 1985 CR 125.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Wink power

jhoffy was talking power. To me that means what one get going the quickest, not what one is the easiest to ride. The stock KLX is very easy to ride as it don't get into a hurry. Even with the 351 kit it is not in much of a hurry, but very fun to ride.

Every bike has it's place. It is nice that the after market is out there so we can mold them into what we want[think we want]. None of my bikes are stock, and I like most all the mods that have been made to them.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:48 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007 Green Machine
I know how you feel and I wish I would have kept my 1985 CR 125.
The only problem with most 125's, the CR included, was that they were MX bikes...lots of power with little to no flywheel effect. This resulted in what was usually a very difficult bike to ride in loose, technical terrain for trail riding. A peaky powerband and no stored energy in the flywheel almost always result in a tough bike to ride off road. MX requires a very different approach to power for a small displacement bike like a 125.

I remember a very neat project that Cycle magazine did in the 80's where they took a CR125 chassis and installed an RFVC head XR250R motor. Now that was an awesome off road bike...but an extensive project. I don't know...this is usually why most manufacturers made off road 2-strokes in the 175-200 range. They provided more torque and the kind of power more suitable to off road. MX125's were fun to ride, however, under the right conditions.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a late model RM 125 and the bottom end power is really not bad, but a similar late model YZ 125 is much better and more like the Euro the woods bikes like a Gasgas, or a Husky WR 125.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

This thread reminded me of one I wrote back in the day...LOL enjoy

Story 1: In 1988 I bought a 1985 Suzuki LT 250R Quad racer. I think it was the first water cooled ATV, anyway I really liked it even though it was a two stroke. This thing was really fast, in fact so fast I decided that I was not going to let anyone ride it for fear that they would wrap it around a tree. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against two strokers, but for the style of riding I like to do the 4 stroke is the machine for me. Anyway one day after asking me over and over, my wife and my then sister-n-law came up and asked again if they could ride it. I said no it's a two stroke and I don't want you to get hurt. Then one of them said, and I quote: "well can you take off the two stroke part so we can ride it?" LOL I have told that story to people but if you know about bikes it really means a lot more.

Story 2: When my first wife and I got married we lived in Longview Wa. Now first of all let me set this up. We got married when we were too young. She was 16 and I was 19. Yea I know stupid idiots, LOL Anyway one day I came home from work as an apprentice Electrician for Weyerhaeuser and when I came in she was upstairs doing something. And I noticed that all of the phones had plastic bags on them. When she came down I said what's up with the bags on the phones, and she said that there was an announcement on the radio from the phone company that said they were blowing out the telephone lines and to keep dust out of you're house you should put plastic bags on the phones. Well I just stared at her and it was at that moment that I realized that I got married too young. LOL hahaha

Story 3: Some or most of you guys have probably heard the prank where you send someone to a store for blinker fluid or a can of compression. Well in the 70's my Uncle was doing some remodeling in his house and he told my Aunt to go to the lumber yard to get a board stretcher. Yea that's right. So she goes down there and asks the guy at the counter for a board stretcher and he looks at her and says "Oh sorry it already being used by someone else" He totally played it out as if it was something that they really had. I bet that wasn't the first time he had a wife come in to ask for that.

Disclaimer: No wives were hurt in the making of this post.

Anyway I just thought I would share that with all of you guys, just for laughs.

deej

Old 10-21-2011, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Good ones Deej!
That makes my Friday.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Two smokes will become a thing of the past before you know it. Starting in Cali and sweeping across the nation eventually. Just like the dinosaurs....

Old 10-21-2011, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

That's a damn shame. I'm going to have to get me one of these KTMs one of these days. Electric start too. Add a street registration and some supermoto wheels.

Quick Reply: Why is a stock kx250 so much more powerful than our klx250s or even 350s?