Why is post so expensive

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 04:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Why is post so expensive

Why is it that post from USA to Australia is so damned expensive?
My scenario is, is that i wish to buy an IMS gear shift lever for the bike off ebay and the postage charge is more than the price of the lever. Now given the fact that the lever is only 25USD but i can't justify paying 34USD just for international postage with a tracking number. It's not express and it's not like i'm ordering an oversized part.

Ok i've had my 2cents worth, now can anyone point me in the direction of getting a shift lever and something with a reasonable postage cost?

Last edited by nixlux; 06-29-2009 at 04:19 AM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 06-29-2009, 04:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Try bikebandit.com
I have bought a few things from them and I don't remember postage being too much.

A good idea is to stock up on things.
I bought 10 oil filters, a couple of air filters and some brake pads.
They were all waayyyyy cheaper than here in Perth and the combined shipping savings made it well worth it.
Its not like they won't get used.
EG, For the price of 1 oil filter from the stealership, I got 10 from bikebandit.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:29 AM
1st Gear Member

probably because its literally on the other side of the world....thats a hell of a haul, mate.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
probably because its literally on the other side of the world....thats a hell of a haul, mate.
lol for a gear shift lever? To put it in perspective i bought a set of mx boots from over there and post was only $40USD registered air mail which is what this is. Now i'm pretty sure i could fit at least 50 approx levers in the boot box and get it over here and i'd be more than happy to pay $40USD for it.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
Try bikebandit.com
I have bought a few things from them and I don't remember postage being too much.

A good idea is to stock up on things.
I bought 10 oil filters, a couple of air filters and some brake pads.
They were all waayyyyy cheaper than here in Perth and the combined shipping savings made it well worth it.
Its not like they won't get used.
EG, For the price of 1 oil filter from the stealership, I got 10 from bikebandit.
ahhh i'll give it a look.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:06 AM
1st Gear Member

bikebandit wants $80usd express shipping and i can't change the shipping options arrrggghhh

Old 06-29-2009, 07:49 AM
1st Gear Member

it's a conspiracy .....

D.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nixlux
lol for a gear shift lever? To put it in perspective i bought a set of mx boots from over there and post was only $40USD registered air mail which is what this is. Now i'm pretty sure i could fit at least 50 approx levers in the boot box and get it over here and i'd be more than happy to pay $40USD for it.
I'm not doubting its overpriced. most things are....just saying that you cant always go by size of weight...just the act of shipping an item costs so much to begin with. size and weight come in after that.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I live in Canada, and do a lot of cross border shipping, both ways. Shipping from the US does not have to be expensive. I received a pipe from somebody in the south in less than a week for $13. The next day, I asked for a shipping quote, using the least expensive service on a small item, from a little closer, and it was $40. There is something goofy going on with the pricing, and I'm not sure what it is.
I tried going on the USPS website, to see if I could figure it out, but I can't. Shipping from the US to Canada used to be half the cost of shipping the other way around. Now it's double.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the same problem ordering parts for my car from japan blah!

Quick Reply: Why is post so expensive