Why did you buy the KLX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Default RE: Why did you buy the KLX?

I bought the bike because my kdx220 sat alot more thanI rode her. So i got this one for the street. I like this bike but I miss the 2 stroke hit so bad!

Old 12-27-2006, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

This is a great bike. I stressed over, should I getthe DR400, for the power or the KLX. I have a 03 WR250Fthat is a hotrod compaired to the KLX but I had to realize that the WR is a comp. bike and the KLX is a well rounded dual sport bike.I have a 1000 miles on it nowanddoing the mods to the KLX for beater perfomence, HMF pipe, carb jetting, air box mod, and 13 cs. thenthis should bethe perfict machine.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I hadthree choices for a common dual sport in Thailand. The Honda XRL 250, Yamaha TTR250 and the KLX 250.

At first I was going to choose the XRL due to their reliability, but I would want to bore/stroke it and was worried about the oil cooling capabilities of the XRL in tight muddy conditions being punched out so much. The TTR Yamaha had the same design shortfall when modifying it, oil cooling. The KLX was an easy cylinder swap away from 300cc and the liquid cooling kept my nerves at ease. When I rode a Thai guys KLX 250 w/300cc conversion with flat slide and cams I was hooked and picked one up.

Stock they are embarrasing, but once opened up and dialed in they are decent.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Was he runningaftermarket cams or were they justwelded and re-gound stock units? I'm looking at possibly putting a mild grind cam into my D-Tracker, but it won't be until next winter, so I have plenty of time to research.

ORIGINAL: Team FTB

I hadthree choices for a common dual sport in Thailand. The Honda XRL 250, Yamaha TTR250 and the KLX 250.

At first I was going to choose the XRL due to their reliability, but I would want to bore/stroke it and was worried about the oil cooling capabilities of the XRL in tight muddy conditions being punched out so much. The TTR Yamaha had the same design shortfall when modifying it, oil cooling. The KLX was an easy cylinder swap away from 300cc and the liquid cooling kept my nerves at ease. When I rode a Thai guys KLX 250 w/300cc conversion with flat slide and cams I was hooked and picked one up.

Stock they are embarrasing, but once opened up and dialed in they are decent.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Dean,

He said they were Hotcams and he had a Hotcams sticker on the motor but we all know they don't make them for the KLX 250/300. Being Thailand I bet they were reground stock cams but my Thai is not good enough to get details. It pulled really hard off the bottom like my stock 300 barrelled 250 can't even hope to do, pulled cleanly into the midrange then signed off into the top end. Felt like it had a more low to mid specs than upper RPM pull.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I see. I guess he wanted to take full advantage of the low-end torque potential of thelarger piston/jug. He may get more engine life from that set-up as well.Probably the hot ticket for commuting and trails.

ORIGINAL: Team FTB

Dean,

He said they were Hotcams and he had a Hotcams sticker on the motor but we all know they don't make them for the KLX 250/300. Being Thailand I bet they were reground stock cams but my Thai is not good enough to get details. It pulled really hard off the bottom like my stock 300 barrelled 250 can't even hope to do, pulled cleanly into the midrange then signed off into the top end. Felt like it had a more low to mid specs than upper RPM pull.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:10 AM

OK.. Here goes my very first post on this forum.

Today, I bought a KLX 250.... Why you ask? It was the finest piece of dirtbike I could find on the market which would satisfy this Ol'e farts need to get around and have some old time fun in the dirt. My last bike was a DT 200 two stroke. I thought it was the cats meow until the KLX.

Think I will do the suggested mods on the forum, which the experienced guys have suggested as I am not too old for a little powerband.

Cheers !
Cynall

Old 01-20-2007, 08:33 AM

Hey Team FTB. Where in Thailand do you ride your KLX? I'm just curious. My friend has a house near Surin and I've been out there to visit. It's cool and he's talked a lot about getting a off road bike just for when he's there. Do you ride it in the jungle or just in the city? Sounds like the life. I love Thailand. Although I just returned from Japan and loved that just as much. I was also suprised to see how common the KLX was on the streets of Japan. Made me miss my bike.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cynall

OK.. Here goes my very first post on this forum.

Today, I bought a KLX 250.... Why you ask? It was the finest piece of dirtbike I could find on the market which would satisfy this Ol'e farts need to get around and have some old time fun in the dirt. My last bike was a DT 200 two stroke. I thought it was the cats meow until the KLX.

Think I will do the suggested mods on the forum, which the experienced guys have suggested as I am not too old for a little powerband.

Cheers !
Cynall
Welcome, you will not be disappointed. where are you located? From one ol fart to another have fun, but remember once you're past 40 and you break something,.....it stays broke.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:51 PM

Hey... Thanx for the welcome Deej

I live in Toronto, Canada.

Any other Canadians out here ?

Cheers
Cynall

Quick Reply: Why did you buy the KLX?