Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Why did you buy the KLX? (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/why-did-you-buy-klx-8781/)

stainlessTT 12-23-2006 12:33 AM

Why did you buy the KLX?

Hey everyone! I was just wondering whereyou guyshave been, what you have done, your mileage so far, and your rating of your KLX overall. Why did you decide to buy the KLX?

I bought mine in March 2006. I bought my KLX for 2 main reasons:

1. I needed a bike to ride trails because some of my riding buddies like to take a break form the track and do trails. MyYZ450 is geared to high, suspension tohard, and engine overheats on trails resulting in impossible kick starting.
The KLX solved all of these problems in a beautiful fashon! The gearing was perfect for my trail needs but too low for te street. I'm happy with my 14-40 set up.
The suspension is to die for!!!!!!! While all my buddies are hating life over roots, ruts, bumps and logs, I'mthinking I could pour my self a cup of coffee. lol
When I saw the KLX had a fan I knew that was the key. I thought since its street legal the japanes are not dumb. Thisbike is built to handel traffic heat to it will handel trail riding heat.
With electric startin the bag I knew this would be a caddilac out on the trails.

2.The second reason I went ahead and took on 5k+ more debt was the fuel mileage. I got on here and asked a bunch of youguys yourmpg. When I saw 70!!!! I was pulling my trailer to the dealer the nextday. lol Comparded to my jeep getting 12mpg I figured I would save enough money by riding it to work that it would pay for it self. Well it does. I save around $55 a week vs. my jeep and thats only figuring the 5 day work week.

I now have 5500 miles on my bike and my second rear tire is in bad need of replacement. I have been over the Hoover Dam, down the Las Vegas strip, and though the Mojave National Preserve on my KLX. I live in Memphis TN but no I did not ride it out there all the way. I trailered it out to Laughlin NV ona business trip.

I trial ride with it at least once a week for 5-8 hours and I make the 40 mile round trip to work everyday the weather permits.

I feel in love with the looks of the bike. It looks like a true dirtbike that kawasaki stuck some turn signals on.Overall I give this bikea rating of 9 out of 10. If it lost a little weight and gained a little more power it would be an easy 10.

ntloser 12-23-2006 12:37 AM

RE: Why did you buy the KLX?

I made an uninformed decision. If I could do it again I would have gotten something more powerful.

JB1 12-23-2006 01:16 AM

I bought my 6yr old son a CRF50 for Christmas so I talked momma into letting me get a bike to ride with him. I have allways had MX bikes and this time I wanted a dual purpose so I can ride it to work and around to local stores plus offroading. I have only had it a week and I have put 25 miles on it in the 3 days I had to ride it. I really like it alot. I chose the KLX because yamaha XT225 sits to low for me and isnt as "offroad" designed as the KLX imo. I almost got a suzuki 400 but I really just liked the kawasaki better overall and the 250cc is perfect for me and what I do. I really wanted the XR650L but its wayyy overpriced imo and I just couldnt jusify a $6500 trail bike.

Overall I can tell you I love this motorcycle ;)

double d6 12-23-2006 01:32 AM

sorry-- duplicate post

double d6 12-23-2006 01:32 AM

It was less technical for me since this is my first real dirt bike/ dual sport. I have only limited experience with motorcycles in general, but know how to ride. My friends and I always talk about how great it would be to have dirtbikes and go riding. So, one day here comes a friend of mine on a used suzuki, so of course I'm liking it and a little jealous that he actually bit the bullet. The very next day, he shows up with a blue helmet instead of yellow.....I was like" no way"--he bought a new drz400,,now I was really jealous!!
I went online and did some research, but I was really limited to the smaller bikes due to my size--5'8"-162lbs, 34y...I also wanted a dual sport for the convenience of NOT trailoring, I could ride to the trails, have fun and just hop out and go home. I didn't feel I needed a 400cc, so I looked at 250cc. Once I saw the klx I was sold.......you are correct in saying it looks like a true dirt bike!!No offense to my buddy or anyone else BUT the DRZ looks like a big MOPED compared to the KLX!!
Now with only 200 miles on the bike, I have already started to add some personal touches like handlebars,bruch guards and grips. Mods will come once I feel I need more out of the bike. I find myself just opening the door to my garage, looking in....SMILE, and close the door. I'm a goof but I love this friggin bike!!! Winter is almost here in Jersey, so I will not bee out so much......but as soon as the 50's come back in temps I'm good for at least 200 miles a week of riding.
This forum is GREAT for information and it actually made up my mind about the KLX pretty fast, I mean how could all these people be wrong???
Have a Great Holiday
Be safe-----
Dave

ol guy 12-23-2006 02:21 AM

It was the only offering 250 in a duel sport. Had lots of honda 250's and loved them went to a dr 350 s was to heavy on the trails and hated it. So i bought the klx some under powered but a 300 kit and a little gear change will fix that. It's low enough for the vertically challenged and light enough to manhandle on the trails. As to how tough it is only time will tell. So far with the changes and mods made available from the guys on this forum i've been pleasently suprised.

deej 12-23-2006 03:14 AM

Well I told myself I wanted it for the gas mileage, even though I live less than 2 miles from work[8D]. Then I said it would be a great turn around vehicle when launching my boat, so I wouldn't have to call my wife all the time. I could just launch the boat, drive back to the turn around leave the truck and ride the bike back to the launch and chain it to a tree...........haven't done that yet:D I ordered mine in late September of 2005, yes that's right, and I picked it up on November 23. That was torture waiting for almost two months. I also got the first one in the area within 200 miles, I guess they sold 15 of them since then. I have 4000 miles on mine and in a few minutes I will be posting a picture of my new mod, the chainsaw holder. I absolutely love the bike, it has plenty of power for me even with my weight. I'm 6-1 and weigh in at close to 240 and the thing is awesome. The gearing change and the exhaust and jetting are perfect for me. I am going to add a 12V power plug soon, and I am also going to make up a small set of mini jumper cables and a couple of quick connects between my wife's bike and mine, Both are E-Start only, and I'm not taking a chance on a dead battery way out in the woods. For me the ultimate reason after the fact, has been the fun factor. After almost 15 years without a dirt type bike I am having a blast. Oh I had a three wheeler and a quad back in the mid 80's and a couple of Yamaha road bikes, but this is the first time I have ever had a bike that would go from the street to the trails. How cool is that. Anyway, I hope to have the bike for a long, long, long time. My wife's bike is also a great bike for her, and I actually like it as a good trail bike. I might start riding it more to work so it doesn't just sit during the winter months. Oh and I forgot the attention you get while riding it isn't bad either. I know it feeds my ego, but after all I am past 40 you know. :D:D:D

jsac 12-23-2006 03:14 AM

1 word........ looks
it was love at first site... i never even went to look at or test ride it... saw it online at the kawi site and called my nearest dealer.. got my credit approved and had it delivered to my house via rollback :)
at first i was dissapointed and wished i had taken it for a test ride as i thought it was a total dog my first ride, but after breakin plus some mods im now pretty much happy with it.

DirtSurfer 12-23-2006 04:18 AM

Best trail bike I could find today that I didn't have to run from the cops on...... Simple simple....

redbrd 12-23-2006 04:41 AM

The Honda i had didnt have the suspension i needed,the klx looked like a mx bike and had good shock's
plus it was three grand cheaper than a kx ,the on road capability is just a bonus.
It is under powered to start with but a few hours on this forum can fix that.