who can wheelie cleanly, W/O ANY clutch usage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

its technique my friend...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QfhkJVwHFU

~Steve

Old 05-03-2009, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

With a 331 I can power wheelie 1,2 and sometimes 3rd. When it was stock I would have to dump the clutch and sit way back, It wasn't fun.

Be careful guys wheelies and cars don't mix. I crashed in the road once and learned my lesson. I now keep the funny business to off road and driveways.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like he was working the rear brake with his left hand on that scooter. I saw a scooter the other day doing about 90 MPH. Kinda funny that there are scooters around that will keep up to our KLX's.
XD 90 MPH blows me away! The fastest I've gotten my stock up to was like 85!

Y'all have been talkin about not needing power, and I am not interested in modding my bike anytime soon. Any tips for practicing a wheelie to get over obstacles?

Old 05-03-2009, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

so, what will the simple addition of new front sprocket set up for low to mid range...i know i'll lose top end speed, but you can get your speed back by getting a powerbomb header that is set up for mid to high range power....will these two offset each other, and will i be able to cruise comfortably at 55-65 like i am now bone stock?

Old 05-04-2009, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I think people relate wheelies to power, Just about the same sort as people also relate spinning tires on a car to power.
So, I think what kpwestmo is asking for, is the snappiness, or the torque and crispness from this bike, rather than the more obvious that everyone is calling him on which are wheelies. Yes, balance, technique, blah blah.
Bottom line is to get the crispness and peppyness of the mx bikes, would take some heavy modding.
Notice how this bike acts like a tractor, it is just so hard to stall, will almost idle up hills.
It's because this bike is not a race bike, but yet a trail and road bike. It is designed that way. Heavy crank, heavy flywheel give the rpm's a good momentum, but, make the throttle response more squishey feeling rather than the more revvy, MX bikes with the lighter weight cranks and flywheels.
My 525 stalls sooo easily. It was frustrating comming off the KLX which was like a tractor, and more forgiving with the clutch and throttle, but now my bike with a MX style crank, light flywheel, the throttle is more of an on/off switch, and stalls with any sort of hickup on the trail. Squishey throttle response this bike does not have, which is why it is a quick revving race motor.
My point is with any bolt on mods to your bike, you will not get the throttle response like the YZ. Cammed more racy, geared more racy, and just designed for a race environment. The KLX is almost designed for the opposite.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

google - Doug Domokos

the wheelie king for sure!

Old 05-04-2009, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by green242
I obvious that everyone is calling him on which are wheelies.
errr Just looking at the tread title.
Plenty on here regarding snap/response.
Gearing (cheap)
Pumper (not so cheap but good)
Big bore (More HP is never a bad thing)
Vortex (the illusionist)
IMHO in that order.

I forgot lighten flywheel. (cheap)
I haven't done this as for my style of riding the trade off isn't worth it.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep, he wants his bike to wheelie with no effort. So what I understand from that is he wants to twist the throttle and with no effort, or technique have the bike loft in the air like the YZ. He was not asking for wheelying techniques and how people do it, but rather how to improve the bike so it can do things such as wheelie at the twist of the throttle.
He was relating the wheelies to power, hence the title of the thread.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah sorry...it was just really hard for me to try and explain what i meant...but hey along the way we got some pretty cool videos and i got all the information i needed at the moment, and more....thanks for taking time to answer...

Old 05-05-2009, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Quick Reply: who can wheelie cleanly, W/O ANY clutch usage?