who can wheelie cleanly, W/O ANY clutch usage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default who can wheelie cleanly, W/O ANY clutch usage?

something i have become obsessed with is the ability to do WHEELIES WITHOUT CLUTCH USAGE on klx250. now im not talking about snapping the throttle in fouth gear going 50...but who can snap their throttle in first or second gear and just lift the front end completely up, and be able to just play with it through 3rd gear or so? obviously i know out bikes are never gonna ride like yzf250 racing bikes, and thats why i love it...BUT i just want that power to be there on demand if need be...like i dont even want that much power, just enough to snap the throttle and have total control of the front end...that is the best way to describe how much power i want...could ijust say **** all the other mods and just get a pumper carb, rejet, header, and exhaust, and front sprocket? will that do that trick?

oh yeah, if your bike will wheelie without clutch usage, tell me what you have done, and the bare minimum i need to do to achieve this ability THE CHEAPEST WAY possible...

Old 05-03-2009, 06:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Cheapest way possible?
Practice.
You don't need power to do a no clutch wheelie.
Just get your weight back enough and bingo.
Balance is the real key to impressive wheelie.
Check out this scooter.
Doesn't even have a clutch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpnx41G3I-w
Power is for those of us who haven't mastered the art.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:19 AM
1st Gear Member

i can do wheelies in 1st 2nd and 3rd, dont have the skill to hold them for longer that 20m or so, i learn t to pull the wheel up in the bush, just going over bumps and stuff to give it that added help, now i can do them almost anywhere.

my bike is stock, snorkel removed, bush gearing thats it. i found the trick to be (apart from 1st) is when u open the throttle and pull up, have the revs around 7000,(close to max power 8500), that's the easiest way, low gear really helps as you increase the torque making it easier to pull up.

but the best way to learn is to find a bush track that has lots of bumps and stuff like that so u can feel how to lift it.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:55 AM
1st Gear Member

dude that scooter was a bad example...that thing has some crazy power to be able to accelerate like that....not to mention how light the front end is.

i guess what i meant is this; im starting off in first gear...get to about 5 grand then just RIP the throttle as hard as i can and the front end barely lifts up a little bit...i get on my friends yzf250 and snap the throttle in first and im looking at the sky....i guess i want to just be able to have that throttle response where i can just ****** that front end up coming out of a berm...or just for show and fun lift the front end up in first and second gears...right now bone stock, in second gear, when i snap the throttle the front end does not even feel like its beginning to lift up...so in stock form, the only way i can get that snappy feeling is for a brief second in first gear....i just want my bike to accelerate and have the snappiness and responsiveness of a yzf250...NOW, how do i go about doing that cheapest way possible....do all free mods, and then would just pumper carb, header, and exhaust and rejetting do the trick? and a new front sprocket...

Old 05-03-2009, 08:31 AM
1st Gear Member

I also wanna get my front end up, i have opened her up, now when i put my 13t front on i am hoping it will make it easy to get my front end up.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Haha! That was one badazz scooter!

Old 05-03-2009, 09:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kpwestmo
dude that scooter was a bad example...that thing has some crazy power to be able to accelerate like that....not to mention how light the front end is.

Hang on man, not saying power doesn't help lift the front.
Just saying that balance is the key to good wheelies.
Look where his weight is.
My friend Doug can wheel stand anything, for as long as he likes.
Even around corners.
I can't do that.
Seriously, he just gets on any bike, never seen it before, and BAM, wheel is up and off he goes.
Even a bog stock 50cc scooter.
The guy who used to run a trail bike tour company down here could wheel stand a 1 mph. You can walk faster then he wheelies.
Just unbelievable bike control.
There is a video going around with guys racing each other on rented scooters doing wheelies.
They are from England but go to France to do extreme bike riding in France.
One day they rent scooters and race on the back wheel!
Not just a few yards. Mile after mile.
They end up riding them off a pier and that's that.
I'll have a look round for it as it's hilarious.

If you put in the hours you would be able to wheelstand a stock KLX easily.
If you got what it takes that is.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:52 AM
1st Gear Member

i know that weight balance is crucial, but still, i guess i really dont really care about havnig mad wheelie skills or anything...i just want to be able to come out of a berm and my bike have the power to stand the front end straight the **** up. i know it will NEVER have the power to stand up like an mx 250, but surely you can make it powerful enough to emulate that MX type "snap" and responsiveness of throttle...hahah so how can my bike wheelie WITHOUT having any wheelie skills whatsoever? WHAT is the one single mod (aside from major engine work and the 331cckit) that will most help me to accomplish this? exhaust? headers? all the free mods? front sprocket? re-gearing? new tires? pumper carb?(yes, i would drop the buckage in a HEARTBEAT if i knew it would give me drastic power and torque without any other mods).

Old 05-03-2009, 12:06 PM
1st Gear Member

My 351 wheelies pretty well without the clutch in first, second, and third. Third takes a little more work, but it's doable.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like he was working the rear brake with his left hand on that scooter. I saw a scooter the other day doing about 90 MPH. Kinda funny that there are scooters around that will keep up to our KLX's.

Quick Reply: who can wheelie cleanly, W/O ANY clutch usage?