Where to mount switches and indicators?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Where to mount switches and indicators?

Hi, folks! First post here. I recently got a 2012 KLX250S, and I am, of course, looking to add a few things. In particular, I want to add heated grips and a voltage monitor. The catch is figuring out where to mount a toggle switch and a 1/4" LED indicator. I tried searching here, but haven't really found much. I did find some very nice and very expensive alternative handlebar switches from PMR, and a few not-so-expensive plastic-housing handlebar switches. But I'd still need a place for the voltage monitor LED.

The only idea I've got so far is bend up a very small panel and attach it to either the handlebar clamp or the instrument cluster mounts. But I'm not much of a metalworker at all. If I wanted to do that, should I use steel, aluminum, or stainless, and what will I need to cut it with?

Any other ideas? Does somebody make a neat little housing I could graft on to the instrument cluster?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wwalkersd

Any other ideas? Does somebody make a neat little housing I could graft on to the instrument cluster?

Thanks in advance for your help.
This is one of my winter projects, I have a small panel mount temp indicator, my USB port and will soon have a small LED indicator light to tell me my fog lights are on. Right now the USB and temp gauge are stuck onto the top of the cluster but a guy on here cut up a cutting board and made a little dash that fits above the cluster filling in the gap. I cant find the picture but its pretty straight forward.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Old 11-21-2013, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, David. That looks like a cool idea. I wonder how he mounted it? It might also be possible to get some sheet plastic and make a dash to fit there. But again, mounting it is the issue.

What I'd really like is to be able to mount the voltage monitor LED in one of the unused indicator holes in the existing instrument panel. But from the shop manual, it looks like the circuit board fills the whole space, and it might be hard to avoid compromising the water resistance of the cluster.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Here is what I have so far, I made a quick template using clear plastic and a sharpie for the pattern. The black panel is made from 2mm thick plastic. I cut it out using a knife for the top portion and a scroll saw for the curved parts. Its just friction fit at this point and reasonably tight but I will use "automotive goop" which is a black silicone to hold it in to make it trail worthy. I still have to cut mounting holes for my USB plug, temp gauge and an LED as my fog light indicator.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

That looks nice! Here's the thing I worry about: the cluster is rubber-mounted, which means it's going to move around, and must be able to move around for the mount to be effective. Given that, is a panel like this going to keep it from moving around? Is it's moving around (especially with the extra weight of connectors on it) going to make it impossible to keep the panel attached?

Old 11-23-2013, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Gentleman, if you install a USB port into the homemade dashboard make sure you have it protrude enough to be able to cover it when not in use. You don't want water getting into the USB port.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wwalkersd
That looks nice! Here's the thing I worry about: the cluster is rubber-mounted, which means it's going to move around, and must be able to move around for the mount to be effective. Given that, is a panel like this going to keep it from moving around? Is it's moving around (especially with the extra weight of connectors on it) going to make it impossible to keep the panel attached?
You did make me think so I did some tests. When I grab the cluster and move it around it doesent move too much, a few mm either way. The plastic of the panel that I am using (remember its just 2mm thick) should be able to flex and although I dont think I am going to attach the dash panel to the front number plate panel it can flex as well. I am using Auto Goop that is a little flexible and I have used it to attach bumper pads onto a bumper so I know its strong.

Regarding the weight, I weighed my plastic dash panel, little LED, temp gauge and USB port and its 100g - about the weight of a chocolate bar. Wire should never be installed tight so there should be no stress pulling on the panel.

Honestly this might all go to hell in a hand basket on the first ride and the dash panel might break or come off but I think it will be fine and I can always make another one. Time will tell!

Besides its snowing today but there isnt enough for the ski hill to be open so what am I supposed to do!

Old 11-23-2013, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know David, I think that extra 100g is going to bog down your performance.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you've got it covered, David. Where did you source the plastic?

Quick Reply: Where to mount switches and indicators?