Wheel Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Wheel Balancing

I'm getting some new tires and adding some rim locks. I noticeda hole for (I think) the rim lock. But itis not 180 degs. from the valve stem. Won't adding a rim lock at this postion this throw off the wheels balance?

And, do most of you have your tires mounted and balanced at the dealers, or is it even necessary?

Old 05-16-2007, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Wheel Balancing

Let me start out with this disclaimer; most members think I'm crazy. But, here is my experience. With the stock tires I always felt uncomfortable when I got the bike up to 55-60 mph on the hard surface roads.This might be a knobby tire characteristic. 1200 miles on my bike and I bought a set of IRC TR-11 Trials Tires - Tube Type. I installed the tires myself using Extra Heavy Duty Tubes and one Rim Lock per wheel in the installation hole next to the Valve stem. The bike road terrible. At 50 mph it felt like I was swinging a pail of water around with my arm. I took the tires off and had them balanced at the Dealer. The rear tire received 8 weights on the spokes and the front 7. I took the bike back out on the Hwy and was cruising at 70 mph and it was smoother than it had ever been. I can even tell a difference on the trails. I might add that I love the Trials Type tires. The front tire does not try to wash out like the stock one did and I have far better traction. Iuse 10 lbs of pressure front and back. I best state that my area, The Ozark Mountains, is rock and hard pack. I'd have to join a Golf Club to see any sand. Mud, what's that?
The down side of all this is I hate all that lead on my wheels. I think the answer might be to install a additional rim lock on both tires opposite the first and have them rebalanced. Unless I get a better idea from this forum I will do that with my next set of tires. OnceI have it correct, I will not have to have them rebalanced each tire change.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I've always had my tire/wheel assemblies balanced at the dealer or a capable shop, some tech's will tell you that they don't need balanced on these little KLX250's but I think it's a good idea and the cost is minimal.

I have a set of new Michelin AC10's that I'm fixing to have mounted and balanced.

BTW,
I put the KDX snorkel and Uni filter on and the bike doesn't bog up at 8,000ft now.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I just recently put new Kenda Trakmasters w/ Rim Locks on and BOY does it make the ride TERRIBLE!!!!
But, I just slow it down a notch on the street................the difference in the dirt is like night and day. I LOVE the way the bike handles offroad now!!!
So, YES the rim locks will most definatley change the feel of the bike at higher speeds. And that hole is the Rim Lock hole.

I wonder..........Fishfinder- about how much weight would you say is added to the front and rear tires to get balanced???
I may just add that amount myself to somewhat "balance" the tire???
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/search...ght&page=1
Wonder what the rim lock weigh???/???????//

Dave

Old 05-16-2007, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

The only markings I can find a some of the weights are KSP20. I would guess at 1/2 oz ea. 7 front and 8 on the rear. I was told that this was something we can do ourselves and would like to hear from someone who could explain the "how to".

Old 05-17-2007, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

double d6, I havealready ordered the Kenda Trakmasters, heavy duty tubesand some alloy rim locks, so I guess I am going to have the same situation as you do. Iruined my front tired and tube riding over rocky terrain last weekend. Pinched the tube somehow, and got a 3in gash in my tire. I was about forty miles in the woods when I got the flat. Fortunately I had a spare tube with me, but I never saw the gash in the tire unitl I rode home

Anyway I want to makethe wheels asbullet proof as possible, because it is no fun changing a tube in the woods. I can't understand why these rims havea rim lock hole 6-8in away from the stem. I was thinking of just not using the exsisting rim lock hole and just drill a new one 180 from the stem.
Any ideas about that approach?

I have been reading some of the threads at ADVrider and there is a lot of info about this. Nobrakes recommends adding a second rim lock opposite the first one. I'm still tring to decide what I'm going to do. Check out this link at ADVrider if you are interested : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...heel+balancing

Old 05-17-2007, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

If you do much riding faster than 50 mph you will need to have the rims balanced, if you dont ride on the road or ride less than 50 I wouldn't bother. You can drill holes and balance the rims using an extra rim lock as least the extra weight would be doing something useful unlike lead weights.
I had my rear rim balanced at the dealers I haven't found the need for the extra rim lock nor have I put one in the front rim.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:29 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

My KTM came with single rim locks installed near the valve stem. First time over 50 and it's shaking pretty bad, just like my KLX did with a single rim lock. I had the KLX wheels balanced with lead weights on the spokes and that was a world better. But I decided not to do the weights on the KTM, instead I drilled the rim for a 2nd rim lock and installed ultra-heavy duty tubes. I put the 2nd rim lock opposing the first (or nearly so) so that it would balance and I don't notice any imbalance at 65 MPH - smooth as butter. As I see it, there are several advantages to dual opposing rim locks:

1) There can still be slippage even with a rim lock, two makes that even less likely. Even when using rim locks be sure and not tighten down the valve stem nut tight against the rim as it can still rip out.

2) If you do get a flat, the 2nd lock will hold the tire on the rim. This may save you from crashing especially for a rapid front tire deflation.

3) Relating to the above, your chance of being able to nurse the bike back to the truck / home go up dramatically if for some reason you can't repair the flat as the 2nd lock will continue to hold the tire on the rim even though it is flat.

4) The 2nd rim lock balances the first, eliminating high speed vibration.

5) A common method for checking spoke tension is to ping them with a pencil or similar and adjust to equal tones. Clamped-on lead spoke weights deaden the ringing and that method no longer works. A 2nd rim lock leaves the spokes free a clear for periodic tensioning.

Anyway, that's how I see it. I really don't find it any harder to change tires with 2 rim locks vs 1. I hate changing tires anyway, though, so the little extra cussing due to the rim locks probably goes unnoticed.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:48 AM

Here's my idea for what it's worth. I ordered a set of motorcycle wheel weights from Motion Pro. They come in a box with several different weights. Each weight is backed with adhesive. I will weigh the rim locks for each wheel and apply the same amount of weights to the opposite side of the wheel. Then I'll just try to spin the wheel and feel if there is any heavy spots on it. I just ordered rim locks for front and rear and I like the idea of two of them on each wheel, but I'm committed to the above scenario for now.

BTW, i'm putting on Kenda TM 2's after two spectacular crashes last weekend. The first., I tried to wheelie over a log in a creek at 15 mph, right hand came off the throttle , steering with one hand, trying desperately to regain control with right hand, wheelie lands, front wheel turns hard right and I go flying into a pile of sticks and other pokey things. Thank good ness for body armor and helmets. No real damage to bike, just my ego as my riding partner was behind me witha great view of accident. Second accident was hill climb, outta power halfway up on stock tires in heavy dirt, trying to shift down, front wheel up and me going down. That's what tweeked the forks the flattened the rear tire I think. Both clutch and brake lever ***** broken off. Oh well I kinda like them short.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I usually ride out my driveway to the mountains. About 3-4 miles. Most of the riding is stop/go under 40mph until I get there. I like Nobrakes idea of two rim locks but have also read at the ADVriderabout using the OEM hole for the rim lock and then filling the tubes with about 8oz of Slime. It seems that stuff swiming around in the tube kind ofautomatically balances the wheel. It doesn't make the wheel as bullet proof as Nobrakes, but I am more lazy if I can get away with it. Any ideas about this?

Quick Reply: Wheel Balancing