whats your top speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

For each turn of the rear there is now less distance travelled. Just picture riding on your rims centre only.
Ah-HA! That makes sense to me, thanks man.

new tires, new gearing, surface...clutch
No changes, and surface was street when I noticed.

Thanks for the input y'all.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

"west oz klx gets a handy cap of 2kph because he's an aussie"
fgk228 your location says Australia, are you just visiting?

Old 05-14-2009, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

no, i live in sydney, australia

Old 05-14-2009, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I saw 75mph on my stock 06 klx250s-------on a logging road-------I was impressed until I road thru town and they had a speed radar sign and it showed 30mph I my speedo said 35mph====at that rate---I was doing 58mph or so LOL===not 75=======but it sure felt more like 65----I was in sixth at about 7,000 rpm and stock gearing===I've had the bike 2 weeks so I havent quite attacked it for more power YET====btw the front tire is the stock 21 inch dunlop 603===it is worn though-----which would spin the tire faster----hmmmmmmmmmm

Old 05-14-2009, 02:54 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default speed

Originally Posted by Klxrelic
if u havent changed anything i'd say tire wear. For each turn of the rear there is now less distance travelled. Just picture riding on your rims centre only. Wouldnt go very fast would ya!
Depends whos chasing you, adrenalin and fear make you go silly fast. (Have the criminal record to prove it .)
75 mph on a KLX250s is plenty fast any faster you will get into tank slappers and high and low sides and thats not even considering the type of tyres you have on your bike.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member

75 is plenty fast======I am going to eventually gear it down and get somemore power====but alas thats end of summer stuff====I gotta ride what I got before I mess it up with a pipe and stuff LOL===oh yeah and get new tires

Old 05-14-2009, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I was doing 90 MPH (145 kph) this week on my way to work, at least that is what my speedometer said. I was driving on the interstate with a little side wind, maybe some tailwind. I was reving around 8500 to 9000. I didn't keep that up for much more than 1/4 mile because it was a little too cranked. I have smog stuff removed, kouba screw, carb adjusted for 4500 feet, bug gun EVO R exhaust with race core (very loud), MX style rear fender, EDGE2 tailight, UFO front fender, UNI air filter, KDX snorkel, and gearing is stock. But I would like to go faster. So I should try a smaller rear sprocket, right? Oh, and get rid of my stock tires.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dacoontz
I was doing 90 MPH (145 kph) this week on my way to work, at least that is what my speedometer said. I was driving on the interstate with a little side wind, maybe some tailwind. I was reving around 8500 to 9000. I didn't keep that up for much more than 1/4 mile because it was a little too cranked. I have smog stuff removed, kouba screw, carb adjusted for 4500 feet, bug gun EVO R exhaust with race core (very loud), MX style rear fender, EDGE2 tailight, UFO front fender, UNI air filter, KDX snorkel, and gearing is stock. But I would like to go faster. So I should try a smaller rear sprocket, right? Oh, and get rid of my stock tires.
I doubt the sprocket will make much of a difference. You'll need more horsepower than what a re-jetted stock bike with aftermarket pipe will give you.

Next time you take it out, see how fast you can go *****-out in 5th, compared to 6th. My bet is 5th gear will be slightly faster.

Even if you gear it high enough to put the faster speeds at the engine's power peak, the gearing will be too high for the amount of power you have.

To give you an idea, to only person I know of who has broke 100MPH on a KLX is a member of this forum who eaked-out close to 40hp by going large bore and stoking the crankshaft out until he had a diplacement of about 376cc, not too mention a grunch of other exotic/expensive mods to the heads, valves and valve springs on top of that.

I think alot of the bolt-on power mods (including large bore) we make to this bike make a big difference in torque and acceleration, but the difference in top speed is nothing to write home about.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:06 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default speed

Originally Posted by clgdswr
75 is plenty fast======I am going to eventually gear it down and get somemore power====but alas thats end of summer stuff====I gotta ride what I got before I mess it up with a pipe and stuff LOL===oh yeah and get new tires
Truthfully the bike was originally designed for top speed 50 mph. But that was 14 years ago maybe now things have changed. NOT! Same basic design, materials. Want a faster bike get a differrant bike, Versys is a good choice .

Old 05-14-2009, 05:09 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah if I want to go 120mph on a 350lbs bike I pull out my RD350LC and scare myself silly. Or is that back into reality?

Quick Reply: whats your top speed