What Super Moto Tires have you got?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

If you actually venture of the beaten (or should I say paved) path the "before" would be much more preferable over "after" so there is a decision to be made pending the kind of riding. That's probably the biggest thing. No argument, just what will do what.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

The avons were okay off road, but kenda 270s would be the cats pajamas compared to the avons.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the pics and advise Matt. Looks much better with the Pirreli's and am sure will handle street much better. Living on a tropical mountain island I go through sun, rain, tight mountain passes and flat out sections all in a 20 minute ride to town, so tires must grip!

Old 08-30-2014, 10:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey, my apologies, I missed the 100% street.

I will give you a tip, do the research, most tire manufacturers have the specs on their tire inflated sizes on their web site. There can be up to nearly 1/2 inch variation in width on any given size from manufacturer to manufacturer, sometimes even between their own models, so a 140 can vary from 135 to 145mm. So if you are looking at a tire that no one has fitted that you know of, you can usually find the size in the manufacturer's web site. I have links to Dunlop and Bridgestone, but not to Pirelli and Metzler's is a pdf download.

It helps to know for sure what size so you don't end up with the chain hitting the tire or having to grind the left side edge to clear.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey can you throw up those links? I've looked before and couldnt locate where manufacterers list that info

Old 08-30-2014, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

The 120 & 140 are the best combo IMO. The Rosso 2's are also surprisingly good in the rain.

The 140 is about perfect but the rim could do with being a tad wider as the rosso's are quite a round profile tire to begin with. Even on a gocart track you will not completely loose your chicken strips! 150 does fit but overkill for me, it will distort the tire into even more of a steeper curve shape & add more unwanted weight to the unsprung weight/mass of our lightweight & under powered bikes.

The 120 on the front is again slightly distorted by the rim width & are definitely more rounded than they are meant to be, not even Marc Marquez at 60 degree lean angle on a racetrack could find the edge of the 120 tire on a klx rim! But the gains with the 120 are better high speed stability, with a slightly slower more predictable feel when dropping into corners & the ability to absorb bumps & pot holes with ease. ps. your speedo will read nearly 10% slower than a 110 tire!

My bike likes 31f & 32R tire pressures for general blatting about & throwing her around on the twisty mountain roads!

The bike on the left has a 150 Supercorsa & my bike on the right has a 140 Rosso 2.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoelThailand
The 120 & 140 are the best combo IMO. The Rosso 2's are also surprisingly good in the rain.

The 140 is about perfect but the rim could do with being a tad wider as the rosso's are quite a round profile tire to begin with. Even on a gocart track you will not completely loose your chicken strips! 150 does fit but overkill for me, it will distort the tire into even more of a steeper curve shape & add more unwanted weight to the unsprung weight/mass of our lightweight & under powered bikes.

My bike likes 31f & 32R tire pressures for general blatting about & throwing her around on the twisty mountain roads!
The only reason I like the 150/60 is that it takes you back to stock gearing, and it looks cool!

How do you like the 31f 32R? I've always ran 22 rear 24 front or 24 rear 26 front

Old 08-31-2014, 04:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
The only reason I like the 150/60 is that it takes you back to stock gearing, and it looks cool!

How do you like the 31f 32R? I've always ran 22 rear 24 front or 24 rear 26 front
Yer the 150 does look cool but for me it's just to big for the KLX MiniMoto. If I was prepared to throw more money at the bike (which i'm not!), I would upgrade the wheels with wider rims. if your happy to distort the profile of a 150 in the name of looks....up to you.

I've tried motard racing tire pressures in the low & mid 20's & I just can't get used to the squirm & strange rolling feeling when the tires are not at max temperature. If I lived in a colder country I would run a few psi lower to get tires up to temperature quicker but it's always HOT here.

Low 30's give me better tracking on poor roads/white lines etc & more grip than I can handle....Never had a slip on the Rosso's in normal road conditions except when grit or sand was involved & on the rare occasions an Elephant left a friendly lump of **** on the apex of a fast blind corner!!!

Old 08-31-2014, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the great pics and comparison Joel. KLX678 has hit the nail on the head with different tire manufacturers and widths. My chain guard has a grooved section from my 140 Bridgestone and the chain is millimetres from the edge so I was very worried how guys are fitting 150's. No way a Bridgestone BT in a 150 would fit.

Attached Thumbnails What Super Moto Tires have you got?-smoke-edge-std-blink..jpg  
Old 08-31-2014, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoelThailand
Yer the 150 does look cool but for me it's just to big for the KLX MiniMoto. If I was prepared to throw more money at the bike (which i'm not!), I would upgrade the wheels with wider rims. if your happy to distort the profile of a 150 in the name of looks....up to you.

I've tried motard racing tire pressures in the low & mid 20's & I just can't get used to the squirm & strange rolling feeling when the tires are not at max temperature. If I lived in a colder country I would run a few psi lower to get tires up to temperature quicker but it's always HOT here.

Low 30's give me better tracking on poor roads/white lines etc & more grip than I can handle....Never had a slip on the Rosso's in normal road conditions except when grit or sand was involved & on the rare occasions an Elephant left a friendly lump of **** on the apex of a fast blind corner!!!

Heck I forgot all about the profile/size requirements of bigger tires...

Over in Amish country we have a similar problem to that last one you speak of, but it's "road apples" from the horses toting the Amish buggies. Really slippery in the morning dew or rain!

Quick Reply: What Super Moto Tires have you got?