What Octane level for my gas is best??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What Octane level for my gas is best??

ORIGINAL: KLX250dualsporter

PREMIUM!!!!!!!! higher octain fuels are better for the engine, any engine. You also get better gas milage with a high octain, so the diffrence in price averages out.

i work at a gas station and we call 87 the dirty juice [:'(]

I can certainly understand the logic that would lead someone to believe this but nothing could be further from the truth.
Octane rating requirements differ from engine to engine, elevation also plays a role; the higher the altitude the lower the octane required.

As posted previously in so many words: an engine will run most efficiently and produce maximum power when it is operating on the verge of detonation.

Example: I have a five year old 21” self-propelled Honda 5.5HP mower, I had always run regular unleaded (85 octane in Northern Utah) and have always been able to complete mowing both my front and back yard on a single (1 quart) tank of fuel before the mower would run out of gas and die, last year I thought I would try some Premium fuel (91 octane) so I filled up my 2.5 gallon gas can and went to work, during the many weeks that I used the premium I was not able to complete both the front and back yard one single time before running out of gas, the mower started and ran fine it just didn’t run as long on a single tank.
After I depleted the gas can of premium I switched back to regular and have been able to make it through front and back ever since on a single bag of fuel.

My Honda owners manual for the GCV160 motor states that it requires 86 or higher octane, at my elevation in Utah (4,400ft+ ) 85 octane is fine, the manual should probably eleborate and go on to tell you to expect shorter run times if you use gasoline with too high an octane rating as I have discovered.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

I can certainly understand the logic that would lead someone to believe this but nothing could be further from the truth.
Octane rating requirements differ from engine to engine, elevation also plays a role; the higher the altitude the lower the octane required.

As posted previously in so many words: an engine will run most efficiently and produce maximum power when it is operating on the verge of detonation.

Example: I have a five year old 21” self-propelled Honda 5.5HP mower, I had always run regular unleaded (85 octane in Northern Utah) and have always been able to complete mowing both my front and back yard on a single (1 quart) tank of fuel before the mower would run out of gas and die, last year I thought I would try some Premium fuel (91 octane) so I filled up my 2.5 gallon gas can and went to work, during the many weeks that I used the premium I was not able to complete both the front and back yard one single time before running out of gas, the mower started and ran fine it just didn’t run as long on a single tank.
After I depleted the gas can of premium I switched back to regular and have been able to make it through front and back ever since on a single bag of fuel. .
It's amazing how people throw away money putting in premium in a vehicle that does not need it and in theory getting reduced performance.

The fact is, higher the octane, less likely to burn. Premium is less volatile than 87. Premium deteriorates faster than 87 when stored, an important factor in motorcyles that sit for a extended period of time.

ZX is 100% correct. The fact of the matter is, for maximum performance, use the lowest octane that will not make the engine ping.

I am at sea level and I have no pinging whatsoever with 87. 87 is what the bike requires. Use it. Unless you like donating even more profit to the oil companies while getting reduced(theoretically) performance.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:29 PM

hmmm, I've always run premium in my bike, I have never tried regular. I just filled up this morning, $7.00, in a stock tank. Thats just stupid. On my next fill up I will try 87 and see how it goes.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I would think if your riding off road where the motor is building more heat that a higher octane would be better. More heat more preignition. Especially if you have to lug the motor around a switchback or something.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I use premium. The motor seams to hit harder.